iPad Security

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marksmithhfx, Jan 2, 2012.

1. marksmithhfx macrumors newbie

Hi, I am interested in putting an application on an iPad that manages data securely... by that I mean that the contents of the data could not be accessed without authorization. Essentially this means to me that the data is encrypted 24/7 unless specifically accessed by an authorized user.

I have read the information in http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/pdf/iPad_Security_Overview.pdf which includes the statement, "iPad offers 256-bit AES encoding hardware-based encryption to protect all data on the device. Encryption is always enabled and cannot be disabled by users."

However, my simplistic understanding is that this encryption is predicated on having a password on the device. What happens if a user jailbreaks the iPad? Is the password compromised (I presume so but have no familiarity with jailbreaks). Once the pw is compromised is the the encryption of information stored on the iPad defeated?

Sorry for the detailed background and naive questions. I am new to this.

Thanks

-- Mark

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Currently there is no 3rd party encryption app that encrypts you entire iPad that I know of. Apple would never allow something to take that much control over one of it's devices.:rolleyes:

I keep the really sensitive stuff on Drop Box (cloud) and Call Pod, a synced password keeper. Most people who steal your iPad are not interested in your stuff, it weill be wiped instantly before using. If there is enough value that someone deliberately stalks to get hold of your device for the information, I am sure they also know someone who can get hold of any info on it.:(