iPad Security

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RazHyena, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RazHyena macrumors 6502a

RazHyena

Does anyone else find the lack of any details on how the iPad is going to deal with security issues disconcerting? I realize this thing is very new and hasn't even been released yet, but how exactly is Apple going to address some of the common security concerns (man-in-the-middle attacks, weak iPhone OS encryption, etc.)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably piecemeal, like they do with OS X vulnerabilities when they pop up. Technical attacks aren't the biggest problem these days anyways.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why would anyone find it disconcerting. I think its easy to assume Apple will handle it the same way it handles its other iPhone OS products - firmware updates.

Any device that has network connectivity is vulnerable. OS X, Win, Linux, Android. Some are more susceptible to attacks than others, but if its a huge concern then don't connect to the Internet.

To-date there haven't been in huge issues with the iPhone, even as it would seem to be a convenient target. So personally, not a concern at the moment.

4. lordhamster macrumors 6502

The fact that iPad will have remote wipe like the iPhone already makes it leaps and bounds better than my current Netbook.

5. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I would really like to see the option of turning on remote-find, remote-control and remote-wipe. This should be turned on by the buyer of the iPad if they want it and they need to have control over this. I would rather not go through Apple for this access and there's all the Big Brother worries of course. I do trust Apple more than I trust a thief.

6. RazHyena thread starter macrumors 6502a

RazHyena

I'm just curious as to whether or not the iPad will be able to take advantage of antivirus programs (probably not, as it's essentially the iphone OS). I'm guessing any security holes on the iPad will be addressed through iTunes updates.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No one is going to write a virus for the iPad. 3rd party apps can't multitask so it would be fruitless to write a virus.

8. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Viruses won't be a problem unless the iPad gets into enough hands. Even then, Apple's refusal to allow multi-tasking may come in handy (though I believe a virus could be written to bypass that)

As for any system (Win, OSX, Linux, etc), stay away from "those" sites and odds are you should stay virus free.

Also, PAYPAL DOES NOT SEND EMAILS! DELETE IT! :D