iPad seemless integration in vehicles

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zermelo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Zermelo macrumors regular

I don't know if this has been posted before but this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDy2ZU8xqc

show a seemless integration of the ipad in a Ford Expedition. A beautiful install, and really what everyone would want for an actual head unit in a car. If you look at modern head units all of them have very bad interfaces and various ways to link to ipod, iphones, etc. they attempt to have video and now internet radio streaming, but in reality the ideal thing to have as a head unit would be an ipad. It gives everything of what other head units are attempting to do, but does it perfectly.

And considering that decent top of the line head units sell for $600 - $1500, the ipad is a bargain and has more features than any of them. It would be something for apple to start actually making devices for cars. While I'm sure they looked at the market and done the math, I know I for one wouldn't hesitation to have such a device in my car as a primary head unit if it had such seemless integration as the video shows through custom installation.

Any thoughts on the concept. Because in reality with the continual audio/video integration into automobile systems, the ipad features is where factory head units are going, but at a snails pace.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I detest VW but gotta give them props for this iPad integration concept they just unveiled at Geneva:

[​IMG]

Rest of the pics here

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

call me a naysayer but drivers are distracted enough, adding an iPad into them mix is down right dangerous. Its bad enough people have been killed because of drivers texting and driving. Now makers are adding iPads to distract drivers :confused:

4. Zermelo thread starter macrumors regular

All manufacturers of video car video systems install a feature which allows you to only watch video (in the front of a vehicle) if the parking break is applied. Of course, installers and people hack or bypass this safety measure, but people still use their cell phones and text while driving.

Small audio and video devices are so popular and cheap there is no turning back, people are going to use them in vehicles. Just like people are going to eat while driving, play with their stereo equalizer or channel changer while driving, yell at their kids while driving. IMO irresponsible drivers are irresponsible drivers whether they have an ipad in their car or whether they are reaching for a Big Gulp while eating a burger at 50mph.

If you look at the latest audio/video devices in the car, all of it is aiming at making cars more like living rooms. So an ipad as a head unit is really just the next level.

5. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I can't wait for these iPad integrated cars to actually go into production. The new vw camper has one aswell.

But I doubt we'll be getting iPad intergradion in the near future

6. mwjd299 macrumors regular

The first thing I thought when I saw the picture. An accident waiting to happen! :eek:

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

And the insurance companies won't be happy with it either.