MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

120554-ipad_box.jpg

CNBC reports that the iPad has become the most quickly adopted non-phone consumer electronics product in history, topping the DVD player, which shifted only 350,000 units in its first year on the market. Apple sold over 300,000 iPads in its first day, and took just 28 days to reach one million units sold.
iPad sold three million units in the first 80 days after its April release and its current sales rate is about 4.5 million units per quarter, according to Bernstein Research. This sales rate is blowing past the one million units the iPhone sold in its first quarter and the 350,000 units sold in the first year by the DVD player, the most quickly adopted non-phone electronic product.
While many products have quickly reached sales into the millions of units, Bernstein appears to be focusing on consumer electronics categories, where the iPad has seen unusual success as the launch product in a segment as it has been jumpstarted by its connection to the rest of Apple's iOS ecosystem.

Perhaps more interesting is Bernstein's observation that the iPad is set to become the fourth-largest consumer electronics category in 2011 with over $9 billion in sales.
At this current rate, the iPad will pass gaming hardware and the cellular phone to become the 4th biggest consumer electronics category with estimated sales of more than $9 billion in the U.S. next year, according to Bernstein. TVs, smart phones and notebook PCs are the current three largest categories.
Bernstein's Colin McGranahan also suggests that the iPad is likely to be "cannibalizing" even TVs and digital cameras, noting that customers who make $600 iPad purchases are likely to delay purchases of other electronics due to financial considerations.

Article Link: iPad Sees Record-Setting Adoption Rate, Poised to Become 4th-Largest Electronics Category

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Of course it takes Apple to make the tablet a real success after years of failure by other companies. Funny how some actually thought the iPad would fail.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
That’s a very aggressive estimate for just the iPads, it’s likely the tablet market will get that much sales but iPads alone? I somehow doubt that. Eventually the interest in the iPads will fade out as other tablets enters the market…a year from now or whenever.

I'm pretty sure that the Wii and the Nintendo DS has beaten both of these in fastest uptake.

Statistics can always be used in different ways and is usually meaningless. Wii and DS are fastest in gaming categories, iPad is the fastest in consumer electronic product category. What does it tell us? Absolutely nothing.

The questions are how long can the iPads last on the market and can Apple keep it going for years to come? Selling 10 million in the first year means nothing if the sales decline down to 5 million to 1 million and then becomes a “hobby” product over time. If Apple can maintain and/or exceed it over time like the iPods, that’ll be impressive.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I'm pretty sure that the Wii and the Nintendo DS has beaten both of these in fastest uptake.

I don't think these systems are eligible.

The analyst would probably consider the Wii and DS to be new releases of an existing line of products (console gaming systems and handheld gaming systems) rather than a new product category.

Comment

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
That’s a very aggressive estimate for just the iPads, it’s likely the tablet market will get that much sales but iPads alone? I somehow doubt that. Eventually the interest in the iPads will fade out as other tablets enters the markets…a year from now or whenever.
Not necessarily.

Comment

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why would iPads be halting the sales of Video cameras? Those 2 products are entirely unrelated.

Comment

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
That’s a very aggressive estimate for just the iPads, it’s likely the tablet market will get that much sales but iPads alone? I somehow doubt that. Eventually the interest in the iPads will fade out as other tablets enters the markets…a year from now or whenever.

If i could get a dollar every time i hear this i would be rich.

Comment

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Microsoft: Haters gonna hate... they see me rolling [in dosh!]

I'd love to be on a MS boardroom discussion..

Comment

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
interesting.
so is the iPad its own category?

When we purchased our iPhones we stopped looking at a tiny hand-held video recorder and also stopped looking for an underwater digital camera. I can see the cannibalization on other products like that.

Comment

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Eventually the interest in the iPads will fade out as other tablets enters the markets…a year from now or whenever.

The iPads will be to the tablet market what the iPod is to the MP3 player market. There won't be any competition unless Apple really drops the ball. I doubt it with the refresh cycle and trend towards innovation in hardware and software.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder what the sustained rate would be like? AFter the initial rush, I'm sure the iPad will reach a saturation point. Wonder what Apple plans for a release cycle? Refresh every year like the iPhone? Also, to keep people buying iPads, Apple will definitely need to keep adding/upgrading features.

Comment

Adibobea9

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
I don't think these systems are eligible.

The analyst would probably consider the Wii and DS to be new releases of an existing line of products (console gaming systems and handheld gaming systems) rather than a new product category.

Well if that is what this list is based on, then the DVD player would also not be eligible because it is a video player, in the same vein as the VHS. And if you refute that, then you must refute your comment as well, because the Wii is the first video game system to be centered around motion controls…

Comment

kerryn

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Why would iPads be halting the sales of Video cameras? Those 2 products are entirely unrelated.

Both are luxury items and based of scarcity of money, buyers are trading off buying a new camera and getting an iPad. As people may already have a camera but people do not have an iPad, with their limited $600 or so funds people are choosing the iPad instead.

Still I am not sure I buy this myself. Cameras are relatively cheap these days and the same argument can be made of any luxury (>$300) electronic purchase.

Comment

muu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
What 'other' tablets, though? Usually there's a price premium for Apple products, but this time around the competition can't even seem to bring the price down to a level much lower than the ipad. And even if they did, with a Wifi version you could very well see similar things to what happened with the ipod. There sure are people using the Sanzas/Zunes out there, but it's still pretty much Apple's ballgame there. Without a push from cellphone providers I'm guessing android tablets are going to face a very similar battle.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

It says: Customers who make $600 iPad purchases are likely to delay purchases of other electronics due to financial considerations.

You're the one that turned the word "delay" into "halting." If you change the meaning of the sentence then, yeah, it's gonna make less sense.

Comment

NickK1066

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Also, to keep people buying iPads, Apple will definitely need to keep adding/upgrading features.

I think you're missing design as a motivator, as is true of all premium price products.

I think that you'll see a fashion element driving updates but also as the iPad is in the user's personal space it becomes part of them so it becomes harder to replace something that's familar to the user. It's a sticky factor that may see people leave for other tablets, only to return due to a poorer experience overall.
If any rival tablet wants to take on the iPad it needs the user experience in terms of content (music/video/apps) in a non-fuss way and the actual tablet itself.

Only way MS can come back is make Xbox Live/MSN into a single one-stop shop for their tablet. Google can do it too - so all the current hardware vendors such as HP? No.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I've been saying this since February: We are in the early stages of the tablet revolution.

Mainframes
Minis
PCs
Tablets

This will be the decade of the tablet. By 2020, the majority of computer users will have tablets. People who never bought a PC will have a tablet. The market for the iPad is far bigger than many of us here are realizing, and now the media is beginning to catch on. Just beginning.

Saturation point? Ha! Just watch.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
That’s a very aggressive estimate for just the iPads, it’s likely the tablet market will get that much sales but iPads alone? I somehow doubt that. Eventually the interest in the iPads will fade out as other tablets enters the market…a year from now or whenever.

Okay, I may be wrong here since I might have an outdated “perspective” on the sales, 4.5M of iPads per quarter is just insane to me as I’m not used to seeing that kind of rates from Apple. I was thinking of MBP sales and how it was in the range of 2-3M of units per quarter. People are willing to buy iPads for 500$ than MBP for $2-3K, so I can easily see double that per quarter for iPads.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.