iPad serial number

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by cluci, Jun 8, 2011.

1. cluci macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm pretty new to the iPad development. One of my firsts tasks on iPad is to try to provide the Serial Number of the iPad in an app.
    The problem is that all that I found on google is how to get the uniqeIdentifier but not the Serial ( I mean the serial number which is on the back of the tablet and also shown in the Settings/About)
    Is it possible to get it programmaticaly.. and how can I get it ?

Thanks a lot
    Lucian

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are barking up the wrong tree. iPad apps are not locked to a specific device. They are available to all of the iOS devices that are managed by a specific iTunes account. They will soon be available to all iOS devices associated with a specific iCloud account. Rethink what you are trying to do.

3. cluci thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are basicaly right, but... in our case this application is not a public application. We want to use some iPads to interact with a complex system we have. Basically some iPads will be handed temporary to clients which use them to interact with some other devices from our system. We need the serial number to easely pair the iPads with our devices. It is very easy to take the serial number from the iPad back and from the other pairing device even without starting them and insert in our database to pair them. Using the unique Identifier is clearly not so practical in this case.
    Anyway , the question is still valid, even as a teoretical question (if my explanation does not convinced you).

Is is possible to get the serial number programaticaly on a iPad ? and how can I do it?