iPad iPad set up for my daughters

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maflynn, May 3, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So it would seem my daughter won an iPad for selling raffle tickets - woohoo.

Previously my daughters used my iPad or my wife's. Now that one of them is getting an iPad mini (and I'll probably be on the hook to buy the other one), I'm looking for suggestions in how to set this up. Specifically do I use my apple id and allow them to use the apps I have bought, when I say let them use the apps, I mean the apps I bought for them on my own iPad. The other option is to set up a new apple id, but are the controls and settings to restrict their ability to buy apps? I really don't want to land on the front page of MacRumors when my daughter spends 5,000 dollars worth of apps, or what not. :eek:

Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's really up to you. You could put your Apple ID on there and not give them the password. How old are your daughters? For me, if mine were 15 or 16 or older, they'd probably have their own checking accounts and would be spending their own money. I take it this isn't the case, so you could set them up with Apple IDs linked to prepaid Visas or Mastercards that you control the funding to. This way, they have the ability to purchase so e apps, but they can't bankrupt you with a whole bunch of $100 in-app purchases for one thing or another.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Depending on your daughters age she might not be able to legally have her own Apple ID anyway. But assuming that she is why would you want to buy all her games and such again. And why have two purchasing IDs to keep an eye on.

Keep using your ID for purchasing. Set up her own, under your name if necessary, for iCloud etc. That way she doesn't get all your contacts and such. Turn on Find my iPad. and turn on icloud backups. Trust me, she'll set a passcode to keep siblings out (even if you tell her not to) and you don't want the drama when they bang around and disable it and the only way to fix is going to erase all her stuff.

Under restrictions set the appropriate age level for media and set the password to 'immediate'. Turn off the stores, IAP etc as you feel appropriate. you can also set it so she can't make changes to account settings like Mail so she can't turn off find my iPad or set up email accounts you don't know about. This can come up with tweens and teens whose parents openly monitor email accounts when the kids want to do something behind Mom and Dad's back (case in point, how my nephew lost his ipad and computer privileges for a month)

----------

My niece is 13 and was allowed to get her own ID. She babysits and runs errands for the older folks in the neighbor for money and will often save it up to buy an iTunes gift card to buy apps and such cause Mom and Dad won't pay for it unless it's for school. And when they do they gift the app off their account to hers so their credit card isn't on her account. That's another method that can be used.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

If you want to save money, use your ID and don't give her your password. She could just have you enter it.

You could talk to her about it, and see if she's willing to do that. Good way to save money so she doesn't have to buy apps you've already bought.

5. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good point, I didn't even think of that. They're 7 so that more or less settles that it will be my account.

I let them use my iPad right now but I don't hand out my password - yikes that would be pricey :)

6. blackbear219 macrumors regular

My son is 7. His iPad uses my ID. That way when I buy a new app/game for myself, I can give it to him as well (or vice versa) for the same cost.

He doesn't know the password. This way he can't spend any money or even install a free app without our approval of the app itself first.

It works out pretty well.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There are two things that I feel needs to be clarified here.

1. The Apple ID you use for iTunes purchases can be different from the one you use for iCloud, Find My iPad, iMessage, etc. For a family, I think it makes sense for the family to share one "store" ID, but each user shuld have their own Apple ID for everything else.

2. That said, you can put purchases from different Apple IDs on to an iDevice. Just sign out of one ID and sign in with the other one, download apps, then if desired, sign back in with the original ID. The process needs to be repeated when updating apps purchased with the second Apple ID. This can be useful when your kids eventually start paying their own way. But don't want to rebuy all the apps bought on your account

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Basically the same thing I said an hour before you. So I'm not sure what about what I said needs to be 'clarified'

Yes and no. Due to security features in iOS and the stores, you may find that the original ID is locked for as much as 90 days and can't be logged in on that device.

9. Night Spring, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I read your post, I wasn't sure if other people could understand that you were saying that you can use one Apple ID for the store, and another for the rest of things. I just thought it'd be better to make the point absolutely clear.

As for being locked out of the original ID, it hasn't happened to me yet. I have apps purchased through a Japanese iTunes account and my regular US account, and I switch frequently to update my Japanese apps.

As far as I know, the device lock-in only kicks in if you turn on Automatic Downloads or iTunes Match. See "Summary" in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

10. halduauthor macrumors newbie

use parental controls

you can use the restrictions section in the settings to disable the purchasing of in app purchases and actually close out the app store completely, you can also limit what type of content (music, movies, books, apps, etc) can be put on the device. Its always a good idea to set up the restrictions when giving an iOS device to a child. Step by step instructions can be found here

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to keep things simple at the moment and not worry about making this too complex. I'll set it up with my apple id and not give them the password.

Since I already have purchased a large number of children's apps for them on my iPad once I set it up as mine, they'll be available to download (if I set it up as new) or restore a back up.

Thanks for everyone's input, as I mentioned previously I completely forgotten about the age restrictions in the getting an apple id - something I've never had to worry about ;)

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I suppose the age restriction is there because Apple IDs can be tied to iTunes purchases. But for instance, if you want to use iMessage or FaceTime with your kids, then they are each going to need their own ID.

Apple IDs are getting so messy -- they keep on piling more and more functions on them. So you have functions, like iTunes purchases, for which an age restriction makes sense, and others like iMessage, where every person needs an Apple ID no matter their age.

13. Prawnstar69 macrumors regular

U could make a new apple I'd without giving any credit card information
    Steps :
    1: sign out
    2: click on a free app and click install
    3: choose create account instead of logging In
    4: fill in your details, and when it comes to credit card info choose none :)! That way she can get free apps without your permission

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's good information, but that is how to set up an iTunes Store account. Usually people just use the same email for their iTunes Store account as their Apple ID, but they aren't the same thing. You can create a new Apple ID simply by going to iCloud in the Settings on an iDevice, and going through the iCloud setup process. No need to download a free app just to set up an Apple ID.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It has to do with legally binding agreements. Most states and countries consider accepting the TOS to be such an agreement and thus restrict the age that can agree to one. 13 rather than 18 could have to do with the lack of money detail.

----------

As noted this is not needed to make an ID, you can do that in the iCloud preferences. But if you want to access iTunes without a credit card or gift card this will work, as long as the free app isn't from Apple. I don't know why theirs asks for payment but it does. Pick a free game version or twitter or such and it always seems to work