Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jarhead247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Kansas City, MO
My wife & I want to give my mother-in-law my wife’s iPad2 (16gb Wifi). She wants to be able to do FaceTime over a screen larger than her iPhone 4S.

My MIL currently has a iPad1 (32gb) that she will give to my brother in law.

Background Information:
1) My MIL does not have a computer for syncing. Her old desktop died and she has not replaced it.
2) She has the iPad & an iPhone 4S.
3) She has music on her iPad that she imported before her desktop died.

I am considering the following:
1) Having her subscribe to iTunes Match.
2) Uploading her entire song catalog to the “Cloud”
3) Restoring my wife’s iPad2 to factory settings.
4) Configuring the iPad2 with my MIL iTunes information
5) Downloading the songs from iTunes Match
6) Restoring her apps from iTunes

Is there a better option to do this?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
First of all, I don't think you can upload songs to iTunes Match from an iPad. I just checked Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/ scroll down to "Getting Started"), and It says to start from iTunes on your computer.

So you need to use a third-party program to copy your mom in law's music from the iPad to a computer. Google something like "copy songs from iPad to computer" and you should find some.

Then, what I'd do is create a separate iTunes library for your mom in law's songs. To do that, if you have a PC, hold down shift while starting iTunes. I believe on a Mac, you hold down the option key.

From there, you can setup iTunes Match for your mom in law, or you can simply sync the songs to her "new" iPad.

Also, once you start a new iTunes library, just create a backup of mom in law's current iPad on your computer. Then take your wife's iPad and restore it with your mom in law"a backup. No need to restore to factory first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.