iPad Setup question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CIA, Apr 30, 2010.

1. CIA macrumors 6502a

So my folks are about to embark on a cross country drive from New England all the way up to Alaska. I got them a 3G iPad for the trip, but they won't be here where I live for another 2 weeks.... I got the iPad today, and had to open it to put a InvisibleShield on it (local company, great product by the way). Soooo, now it's open, and charging on my desk, but still shows the "connect to iTunes" screen since it's not mine and plugging it in and using it under my name for 2 weeks would make me a terrible son...

But it is open already, and does have that protective cover now......

OK, if I connect it to my iTunes, will I be able to do a factory restore on it prior to their arrival and have it say "Connect to iTunes" when they arrive? My dad can just make an account on my mac for the few days he is here and get setup to his iTunes account that way. I just want it to look factory fresh for when he opens it up. I fully accept that doing this makes me a bad son, but I have yet to play with one, and having it sitting here unused for 2 weeks is going to drive me nuts.
    (no, I don't need to use the 3G stuff, just wifi)

So is it possible to get the "connect to iTunes" screen ever again once you hook it up the first time?

2. Imidazole macrumors regular

Yes. In the settings. It's the same as the iPhone. You can reset all settings and content.

3. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

More importantly, will it default back to the "Connect to iTunes" screen and be un-usable until they do? [connect to iTunes that is] I basically don't want them to know i've been playing with it for 2 weeks.

4. JayDH macrumors 6502

I just restored my Wi-Fi iPad in iTunes to prepare it for eBay. The connect to iTunes screen does not come up anymore. Instead it is the basic default home screen. All the data is gone, but the connect to iTunes screen is gone.

5. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well poop. So much for that idea, guess I'll hve to stick it in my closet to forget about until they arrive.

6. FirePak macrumors regular

Im about 99% sure if you go into settings and do a full factory reset it puts it back to the itunes screen. If you restore it from itunes it activates.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Or buy yourself one! ;)

8. CIA thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm this? Because if true, that would be awesome....

I would buy myself one, if not for my awesome GF buying me a 13" Macbook Pro back in March. Don't really need both.