Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Just seeing the screenshots of the new apps coming to the iPad when it launches, and what developers are actually able to do just within a few months is mind blowing.

It's shaping up to look like a real computer. Even better, because you have the advantage of the screen size and the multitouch technology, it'll be much easier and better than a netbook.

Does anyone feel the same way? Or do you guys still consider the iPad a giant iPhone?

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Still seems like a giant iPhone to me as long as they're using iPhone OS. That operating system and the small screen (in compare to a PC monitor) totally limits what you can do with multi touch.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Still seems like a giant iPhone to me as long as they're using iPhone OS. That operating system and the small screen (in compare to a PC monitor) totally limits what you can do with multi touch.

That's like saying a Hot Tub is just a giant bathtub! I can get the Sweedish Bikini team in mine and you can't! :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's like saying a Hot Tub is just a giant bathtub! I can get the Sweedish Bikini team in mine and you can't! :D

The iPad is a great device. But, at least for a long time, isn't going to be a computer replacement (yes - I know Anthony - you're replacing your MBP with one). But feature for feature and full on computing power - the iPad isn't there yet nor will it be for quite awhile.

More like a computer than it was demonstrated maybe. But it's not going to BE a computer. and it's not MEANT to be. Even Jobs and Apple have positioned it as a middle area device.

But yes - the iPad will be a lot of fun/useful in ways that haven't even been dreamt up.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
As long as the iPad uses the same OS and UI as a phone, it's too limited to be considered a real computer.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
The "more like a computer" part really needs to include the ability to store for view the user's entire e-mail library. I often times have to put down my iPhone to go to my laptop to search for older messages. I hope I don't see the "load more messages" command on the iPad's email app. If I do I'm probably going have to re-think if I want an iPad altogether or at least go to the base non-3G version with less memory.

I suppose Apple could add more e-mail app. functionality in the next big iPhone OS upgrade. Oh, one more thing on my e-mail wishlist. How about a spam filter for the iPhone/iPad?

dblake15

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Unfortunately it is not like a computer at all. it is an ereader and multimedia device. I just found out I cannot even view a java based web cam. Flash I can understand, but Java too. Definitely not shaping up to more of a computer.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
It depends on your definition of "computer". 2/3 of the people at my company use a computer for email and web and that's it which this device could easily replace. Sales people need a calendar, contacts, a web browser and their phone and that's it. Half of them lug around these huge laptops when a device like this would fit them perfectly. Would it replace my computer as a developer, absolutely not but I'm going to try to add it to my arsenal so I don't have to bring my 17" everywhere I go.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
its never going to be what we call a computer...

i will defy anyone to keep thier desktop switched off and only use the iPad....trust me it wont take long at all to hit a brickwall and have to turn the desktop on...

its a more advanced iPhone with a bigger screen...end of.

Still a great product but its not a desktop computer...and never will be while it runs a phone OS.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
The "more like a computer" part really needs to include the ability to store for view the user's entire e-mail library. I often times have to put down my iPhone to go to my laptop to search for older messages. I hope I don't see the "load more messages" command on the iPad's email app.

This is something which really bugged me on the iphone as I have a very large library of old emails I like to refer to.

I guess this is where they really want you to use the cloud mobile me kinda thing which isnt ideal if not also locally stored. Im guessing it will be same as iphone

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Just seeing the screenshots of the new apps coming to the iPad when it launches, and what developers are actually able to do just within a few months is mind blowing.

It's shaping up to look like a real computer. Even better, because you have the advantage of the screen size and the multitouch technology, it'll be much easier and better than a netbook.

Does anyone feel the same way? Or do you guys still consider the iPad a giant iPhone?

As Sam points out below vvv I will be using my iPad as my primary computer. I've had this plan since the keynote, and I've not wavered. All the screen shots and app announcements simply jive with exactly what I was expecting. We've only just begun...

The iPad is a great device. But, at least for a long time, isn't going to be a computer replacement (yes - I know Anthony - you're replacing your MBP with one). But feature for feature and full on computing power - the iPad isn't there yet nor will it be for quite awhile.

More like a computer than it was demonstrated maybe. But it's not going to BE a computer. and it's not MEANT to be. Even Jobs and Apple have positioned it as a middle area device.

But yes - the iPad will be a lot of fun/useful in ways that haven't even been dreamt up.

I'm not getting bogged down with what/how Apple and SJ are positioning the device. They've poo-poohed video in the past, now embrace it. They've poo-poohed books in the past, now...you get the idea. People will in any case use it as they see fit, not how SJ's tells them to :)

The "more like a computer" part really needs to include the ability to store for view the user's entire e-mail library. I often times have to put down my iPhone to go to my laptop to search for older messages. I hope I don't see the "load more messages" command on the iPad's email app. If I do I'm probably going have to re-think if I want an iPad altogether or at least go to the base non-3G version with less memory.

One of my blog posts was about this exact concern and I agree. There was an app for better server-side IMAP searching, but Google bought it and pulled it (and that was the first I'd heard of it so sadly I didn't get a chance to d/l it before it was pulled). This is the kind of app I would consider jailbreaking for, as I do a ton of email searching every day.

It depends on your definition of "computer". 2/3 of the people at my company use a computer for email and web and that's it which this device could easily replace..

2/3 at your company, 9x% in the rest of the world!

its never going to be what we call a computer...

i will defy anyone to keep thier desktop switched off and only use the iPad....trust me it wont take long at all to hit a brickwall and have to turn the desktop on...

its a more advanced iPhone with a bigger screen...end of.

Still a great product but its not a desktop computer...and never will be while it runs a phone OS.

Well, i guess I'm defying you. My existing household iMac will continue to serve its purpose - central storage of media (music, vids, pix) for syncing. That's how I use it now with my MBP. That's how I'll use it once my iPad replaces my MBP.

Any other use-case I need I'll either figure out a workaround on the iPad as needed, or, if I must 'use' the iMac for something, I'll honestly report it in my blog.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
The more I think about it, the more it sucks that the iPad will not have a camera for Skype/iChat. My Nintendo DSi has TWO cameras for gods sake (front and back.) I try not to be cynical, but I can't imagine any other reason to omit it other than to be able to save that feature for the next version (knowing original iPad owners will upgrade in a heartbeat, and now you've gotten them to buy two of practically the same product.)

I love the iPad, and I am strongly considering buying one anyway - but damn...I think video-conferencing alone would have been the killer app to make this machine a must-buy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Anthony - One thing I am glad for is that the iPad (and hopefully the iPhone) will have a unified email in box.

Let me ask you this - not sure how much email you get and if you constantly refer back to older ones. But how will you handle searching/looking at past emails. Currently (and I do say currently) the iPhone is terrible for looking at anything or searching for emails past the last bunch.

Now granted - one of my companies has email via gmail (hosted domain) so on the iPhone - when I need to really search - I go to the web browser. Which I admit would be much nicer on the larger format iPad. So ultimately - I guess that's a work around/etc.

But going back to my question - is that a similar work around for you - or do you think that (just like you're archiving video, etc on your iMac) you will go back to using the iMac to gain access to older emails?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
The more I think about it, the more it sucks that the iPad will not have a camera for Skype/iChat. My Nintendo DSi has TWO cameras for gods sake (front and back.) I try not to be cynical, but I can't imagine any other reason to omit it other than to be able to save that feature for the next version (knowing original iPad owners will upgrade in a heartbeat, and now you've gotten them to buy two of practically the same product.)

I love the iPad, and I am strongly considering buying one anyway - but damn...I think video-conferencing alone would have been the killer app to make this machine a must-buy.

Ultimately I can't argue with your supposition (i.e. that they left out the front camera so that we'll all upgrade in a year's time).

I do think though that there's another possibility - which is the user experience afforded by today's cameras and camera software. What's lacking currently is the ability for a camera to automatically (and cheaply, in a size that fits into an iPad bezel) follow movement.

If the thing is mounted or in a stand, then fine, it's like using video chat on a laptop or desktop today.

But hold the iPad in your hand, and unless you're quite careful, the person you're chatting with could be in for a jittery, nausea inducing chat (see: Breaking The Waves by Lars von Trier for what handheld camera work can do to turn your stomach!)

Anyway, like I said, can't argue with your thinking on the whole. But this notion does occur to me...

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Anthony - One thing I am glad for is that the iPad (and hopefully the iPhone) will have a unified email in box.

Let me ask you this - not sure how much email you get and if you constantly refer back to older ones. But how will you handle searching/looking at past emails. Currently (and I do say currently) the iPhone is terrible for looking at anything or searching for emails past the last bunch.

Now granted - one of my companies has email via gmail (hosted domain) so on the iPhone - when I need to really search - I go to the web browser. Which I admit would be much nicer on the larger format iPad. So ultimately - I guess that's a work around/etc.

But going back to my question - is that a similar work around for you - or do you think that (just like you're archiving video, etc on your iMac) you will go back to using the iMac to gain access to older emails?

This is a great question and actually one of the topics I covered on the blog. In fact I called email searching my "single biggest concern" in terms of my usage needs.

I have tens of thousands of emails stored in nested folders on IMAP servers. I set this sorting/storage system up before great search tools like gmail and spotlight became more or less ubiquitous.

My hope of course is that better search will be available on the iPad than on the iPhone. Specifically, the ability to search not only the folder you're in, but nested folders as well (iPhone allows only in-folder searching), and of course the ability to search on the server in addition to what's on the device.

Sadly, there was apparently "an app for that" which Google acquired and then immediately pulled. That was the first I'd heard of it, so I didn't get to download it before it was pulled. Hopefully another will be released. This is the thing likeliest to get me to jailbreak if that's the only way to get this functionality.

I too have web-access, so could switch to that for searching. Ultimately I'll have to try all methods available and decide which is most convenient for me. Hoping for the best though!

EDIT: sorry for the consecutive posts.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I'm more excited for opening up possibilities that aren't just here yet.

Why can't I have an iPad that tells me what's wrong with my car and then shows me how to fix the problem? Videos, interactive graphics, pictures all while I walk around my vehicle, all at my finger tips. It's always been awkward using laptops around vehicles, the form factor isn't correct for that type of work. The iPad can change that.

Why can't I use RFID tags (or what have you) in my storage room to electronically label my stuff and use my iPad to find whatever I'm looking for?

How about using the iPad for monitoring a loved one's health? Being notified if his or her temperature reaches a critical point, or having an iPad track blood sugar levels and remind the person when it's time for another test.

It's questions and thoughts like this that make me excited for the iPad and its inevitable descendants...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If the thing is mounted or in a stand, then fine, it's like using video chat on a laptop or desktop today.

But hold the iPad in your hand, and unless you're quite careful, the person you're chatting with could be in for a jittery, nausea inducing chat (see: Breaking The Waves by Lars von Trier for what handheld camera work can do to turn your stomach!)

Anyway, like I said, can't argue with your thinking on the whole. But this notion does occur to me...

Anthony - I sincerely am not posting to be contrary. But this logic, to me is a bit flawed. Because you're now specifying use cases.

Apple clearly believes that people might want to use/and find use for a dock and/or keyboard because a) they want to appeal to those that might not prefer touch typing and b) perhaps they also know that for writing essays, the touch keyboard MIGHT (I say might) not be as fast/comfortable/whatever as a regular keyboard.

If they added a camera - it's really up to the user to determine what works best for them as far as usage. I have had video chats with people on their laptops that they have on their lap. Constantly moving side to side, readjusting the tilt, whatever. Plenty of "awkward" situations. That's a user issue. Not a device issue.

If they added a camera - people would figure out the best way to conduct their chats. Perhaps even more incentive to BUY that dock that apple sells, or some other dock/stand/etc. And those that are buying the keyboard doc and using the iPad as their primary computer (like yourself) would have the AVAILABILITY to video chat in a manner which many are accustomed to.

Now granted - you might not have any use for a webcam or video chats. And this is the thing that I find interesting in other postings (not necc. yours). Arguing AGAINST a feature seems silly just because you (general you) don't have a need for it. Are people really AGAINST having a camera. Or are they simply trying to find justifications.

Ultimately - I think, like you and the other poster. A camera is pretty inevitable. And it will come in Gen 2 or maybe even Gen 3. And when it does - I really don't see it being any "amazing" technology advancement for the device. Just a simple upsell/feature which "belongs" on the device.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I'm more excited for opening up possibilities that aren't just here yet.

Why can't I have an iPad that tells me what's wrong with my car and then shows me how to fix the problem? Videos, interactive graphics, pictures all while I walk around my vehicle, all at my finger tips. It's always been awkward using laptops around vehicles, the form factor isn't correct for that type of work. The iPad can change that.

Why can't I use RFID tags (or what have you) in my storage room to electronically label my stuff and use my iPad to find whatever I'm looking for?

How about using the iPad for monitoring a loved one's health? Being notified if his or her temperature reaches a critical point, or having an iPad track blood sugar levels and remind the person when it's time for another test.

It's questions and thoughts like this that make me excited for the iPad and its inevitable descendants...

One of my RFID fantasies is that every item in the fridge and cupboard is ID'd. Then the iPad tells you exactly what recipes you can make with what's already in house, and, additionally says...well gee if you just bought two shallots and some eggs you could make a crazy croque monsieur. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
One of my RFID fantasies is that every item in the fridge and cupboard is ID'd. Then the iPad tells you exactly what recipes you can make with what's already in house, and, additionally says...well gee if you just bought two shallots and some eggs you could make a crazy croque monsieur. :)

There's sort of an app already for that (- RFID)

Whole Foods' app - which is great allows you to enter in items you have and then it pulls up recipes you can make

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Anthony - I sincerely am not posting to be contrary. But this logic, to me is a bit flawed. Because you're now specifying use cases.

Apple clearly believes that people might want to use/and find use for a dock and/or keyboard because a) they want to appeal to those that might not prefer touch typing and b) perhaps they also know that for writing essays, the touch keyboard MIGHT (I say might) not be as fast/comfortable/whatever as a regular keyboard.

If they added a camera - it's really up to the user to determine what works best for them as far as usage. I have had video chats with people on their laptops that they have on their lap. Constantly moving side to side, readjusting the tilt, whatever. Plenty of "awkward" situations. That's a user issue. Not a device issue.

If they added a camera - people would figure out the best way to conduct their chats. Perhaps even more incentive to BUY that dock that apple sells, or some other dock/stand/etc. And those that are buying the keyboard doc and using the iPad as their primary computer (like yourself) would have the AVAILABILITY to video chat in a manner which many are accustomed to.

Now granted - you might not have any use for a webcam or video chats. And this is the thing that I find interesting in other postings (not necc. yours). Arguing AGAINST a feature seems silly just because you (general you) don't have a need for it. Are people really AGAINST having a camera. Or are they simply trying to find justifications.

Ultimately - I think, like you and the other poster. A camera is pretty inevitable. And it will come in Gen 2 or maybe even Gen 3. And when it does - I really don't see it being any "amazing" technology advancement for the device. Just a simple upsell/feature which "belongs" on the device.

Here's where I disagree. Even a laptop on a lap is not nearly as "portable" - in the hands so to speak - as an iPad. Not nearly. And therefore I believe it's possible if not likely that the video chat experience with an iPad in just about any situation other than docked would be materially poorer than what we're mostly used to.

Don't forget that other thread where you were 'listening' to what SJ was saying about what the iPad was to be used for, instead of deciding for yourself. Can't have it both ways ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Here's where I disagree. Even a laptop on a lap is not nearly as "portable" - in the hands so to speak - as an iPad. Not nearly. And therefore I believe it's possible if not likely that the video chat experience with an iPad in just about any situation other than docked would be materially poorer than what we're mostly used to.

Don't forget that other thread where you were 'listening' to what SJ was saying about what the iPad was to be used for, instead of deciding for yourself. Can't have it both ways ;)

Oh. I wasn't. I was merely parroting back the keynote. What I use or don't use my device for is my "business" - intended or not by Mr. Jobs lol

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
It's no more a computer than your iphone...I don't see why people try and make the device into something it's not as they will surely be disappointed in the end. It runs the same OS, the same programs and everything as the iPhone it just has a bigger screen. It will be great for surfing net and playing games in bed and on the toilet and I will enjoy it very much for it's intended purpose but if I needed a computer I would be buying a laptop not an iPad as they are 2 totally different devices with 2 totally different purposes. One does not replace the other.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
It's no more a computer than your iphone...I don't see why people try and make the device into something it's not as they will surely be disappointed in the end. It runs the same OS, the same programs and everything as the iPhone it just has a bigger screen. It will be great for surfing net and playing games in bed and on the toilet and I will enjoy it very much for it's intended purpose but if I needed a computer I would be buying a laptop not an iPad as they are 2 totally different devices with 2 totally different purposes. One does not replace the other.

Ummm....nevermind. Sigh. Please don't tell me what will or won't work for me, thankyouverymuch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.