Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Still seems like a giant iPhone to me as long as they're using iPhone OS. That operating system and the small screen (in compare to a PC monitor) totally limits what you can do with multi touch.

I'd love to hear how the OS is limiting what you can do with multi touch.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
for a long time, it isn't going to be a computer replacement… feature for feature and full on computing power - the iPad isn't there yet nor will it be for quite awhile.
The iPad won't ever match against a computer in horsepower or functionality. Computers will always be one step ahead of portable devices.

But for most people, it doesn't need to have power, or the advanced settings of a computer, does it? I think portable devices like the iPad have reached the point where they can easily do tasks such as web browsing, email, games, and apps without noticing any slowdown.

Any extra power added to the iPad in the future will really only apply to those who want to do really powerful things such as media production, but I think that's a minority.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I'm seeing the same replies over and over again. I think people are really not getting what I meant when I said "computer."

If you think about it, ANYTHING with a chip in it is a computer.

But anyway, I never said that the iPad is shaping up to look like something that could replace your laptop/desktop altogether. That's not even that it's meant for. However, what I am saying is that the iPad is starting to look more useful for people. The device can really do a lot, all it needs is GOOD apps that'll make people's life easier.

And yes, it is true that most people use their computer for web and email, but you can do that with the iPad, kinda, and also have a ton of other stuff.

I think that by this summer, Apple will approve some great apps for it that might actually make it something that people would consider getting instead of a laptop/netbook.

But as far as the netbook vs. the iPad argument goes, I think that the iPad wins, because it has hundreds of thousands of apps optimized just for it, unlike a netbook where you can't really run anything and take advantage of the apps you have installed on it

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Still seems like a giant iPhone to me as long as they're using iPhone OS. That operating system and the small screen (in compare to a PC monitor) totally limits what you can do with multi touch.

I never understand people like you. So the iPad is apparently too small for you, and if it was any bigger you'd say "oh it's too big to hold, I can't work on it, APPLE MAKE IT SMALLER"

It's like no matter what, you always complain about something that's actually fine as it is.

The iPad was never meant to be replace your desktop, like I already said. And I'm sorry, how is the OS limiting the multitouch exactly? I don't get what you're trying to say here.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I am pretty much already in the mod of the iPad will be my mobile computer, hell I already think that of my iPhone. I haven't had a laptop for work for nearly 60 days now and other than a handful of times I could have done some task faster with a keyboard I've not found it to be an issue.

I look forward to a larger screen to be able to pull up my house plans on a jobsite and be able to actually show someone the information or a detail that two people can actually see at once. The iPhone shows the info, but it's nearly impossible to talk to someone and have both of us looking at the phone at the same time. I have a few builders that already think the iPhone is very cool with all the estimating programs and industry related apps that pertain to the building industry, can't wait to see their reaction to the iPad.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I made the decision back in 07 to use my smartphone as a laptop replacement and my laptop my desktop replacement. Works great for me. I won't be getting an ipad (though the one I bought for my mom just shipped) because my current setup works well for me.

Anything can be a computer replacement. Some people could replacement their computer with a typewriter, others a telephone. It all depends on what you do on a computer.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I never understand people like you. So the iPad is apparently too small for you, and if it was any bigger you'd say "oh it's too big to hold, I can't work on it, APPLE MAKE IT SMALLER"

It's like no matter what, you always complain about something that's actually fine as it is.

The iPad was never meant to be replace your desktop, like I already said. And I'm sorry, how is the OS limiting the multitouch exactly? I don't get what you're trying to say here.

Unless you are you are using it for high end apps (CS & Final Cut Studio) it is meant to replace your computer. I don't think people actually get what Apple is doing. Ask yourself, where do you see the iPad 5 years from now? The iPad is more important than the iPhone, iPod touch & Mac. This is the next step of the computing revolution. This is what is seeen on Star Trek.

As for it being as powerful as a "real computer", it doesn't need to be. Look at what is happening with new Intel chips. They are ecstatic if they get a 10% improvement in performance.

Unless you are you are using it for high end apps (CS & Final Cut Studio) it is meant to replace your computer. I don't think people actually get what Apple is doing. As yourself, where do you see the iPad 5 years from now. The iPad is more important than the iPhone, iPod touch & Mac. This is the next step of the computing revolution. This is what is seeen on Star Trek.

As for it being as powerful as a "real computer", it doesn't need to be. Look at what is happening with new Intel chips. They are ecstatic if they get a 10% improvement in performance.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
As long as the iPad uses the same OS and UI as a phone, it's too limited to be considered a real computer.

However, most things you can think of that you'd want to do on a computer you can find an app for.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I think the iPad makes for a good secondary computer, but I would not swap a primary computer for it.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I think the iPad makes for a good secondary computer, but I would not swap a primary computer for it.

you really CAN'T either. You need a computer to sync stuff with it. Sure you can buy content on the iPad, but syncing is the preferred method.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
you really CAN'T either. You need a computer to sync stuff with it. Sure you can buy content on the iPad, but syncing is the preferred method.

This is a short term situation though. Sooner or later media will live in the cloud. We'll sync with the cloud. We'll update the OS on the device itself. Poof = no need to be tied to another computer at all.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
This is a short term situation though. Sooner or later media will live in the cloud. We'll sync with the cloud. We'll update the OS on the device itself. Poof = no need to be tied to another computer at all.

right you are. Android phones already do a fantastic job of this with syncing with Picasa automatically. Except on the iPad and iPhone, it will likely be a feature included with mobileme, for another charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.