iPad showing/using wrong amount of space for apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aoaaron, Mar 26, 2012.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

i have 4GB of apps installed yet iTunes + iPad says 12GB.. how can i fix this?

2. elmo151 Guest

3. Ries macrumors 68000

I havn't checked if this is true, but a wild guess would be itunes showing the downlaoded app sizes, while the ipad, the apps+app data. (like spotify, small app + 1.4gb music)

4. dancj macrumors 6502

A lot of apps take up more space than the download size quieted in the app store. At a guess I'd assume they decompress the graphics (or something like that) when they install.

If you go to Settings/General/Usage/Manage Storage you can see the usage broken down by each app to see the worst offenders.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

according to... ???

You're assuming this is correct information and that the number (wherever you pulled it from) is what should be the space needed on the ipad.

Check your assumptions. I bet one of them will be wrong.

6. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

If you have any files that were downloaded straight to the app like video files in AVPlayerHD then they show up as space taken up by that particular app.

For example my iPad says that AVPlayer is taking up 10gb on my iPad, which the app itself is clearly not that big. If you go to settings>general>usage, it'll show you which app is taking up what space.

EDIT: Just noticed Ries said the same thing above. :)