ipad shows as an iphone in itunes

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jammythart, Dec 30, 2011.

1. jammythart macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have just plugged my ipad into itunes and it displays as an iphone. Not only this, it says it is in restore mode yet I am unable to restore. I have spoke to apple who asked if I had jailbroke my pad...answer is no. He then said that the only way to get it back is to ask people who create the jailbreak software to see what can be done.

I thought I would check with you experts to see if there was any way of restoring my ipad to any version?

Its an ipad 1 32gb which I had been using normally with OS 5. I have tried downloading the firmware for this and restoring using shift+click in itunes but this fails. I am stuck on this as apple cannot help. I have not installed any apps other than what is on the appstore so I have no idea how this has happenned and I'm not happy that Apple cannot help...other than to offer me a replacement at full price!!

Can anybody help or put me in contact with someone that can? All I want to do is restore it somehow!!

Thanks

Tom

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You should try to put it into DFU mode and then shift-click restore in iTunes. If that goes through, just set up as new. Do not restore from backup or you will most likely recreate the issue.

Also: Make absolutely doubley-sure that you have the correct .IPSW file.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Do a DFU restore and install 5.0.1 Should clear it up.

4. jammythart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

What is DFU?

Also, the main problem is that when the ipad is plugged into the computer, itunes says that the iphone is in restore mode! yes, it thinks it is an iphone. I have tried to use the ipsw file and this does not work because of the ipad / iphone clash. I've never jailbroken it or used any app other than those on itunes.

----------

All i want to do is factory restore it and then start a fresh. Even the local apple store have said that it appears as an iphone in itunes which is very weird. They cant do anything as they suspect it to be jailbroken.....wtf

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. jammythart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, the ipad is permanantly in this mode as the message comes up in itunes everytime i plug it in. I just wish it appearred as an ipad rather than an iphone!

7. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Did you buy it new or used? If used by a previous owner they may have Jailbroken.