Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I'm having a weird issue with my iPad 10.5 Pro. I recently bought a new iMac and opted to pick up a USB C to lightning cable but suddenly it doesn't want to charge my iPad (it'll show that it's charging but it doesn't actually charge the battery). If I switch to a regular USB to lightning cable then it charges fine - the thing that's confusing me is that the USB C to lightning charges my iPhone perfectly fine and charged my iPad fine.

I recently had an issue updating my iOS (it game me a "attempting to recover data" error) but it recovered everything fine with no data loss. Could it possibly be due to a bad iOS install? Seems odd that it would affect battery when literally everything else is fine.

To summarize, my iPad shows that it's charging but won't actually charge using a USB C to lightning cable but charges perfectly fine with USB to Lightning. My iPhone 8+ charges fine via both. I don't understand why.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
iPads draw more power from the usb sockets. Have you tried changing the ports?

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
Your USB3 is probably a higher power port than the others. You need a 2.1A port to properly charge an iPad.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Your USB3 is probably a higher power port than the others. You need a 2.1A port to properly charge an iPad.

I figured that a USB C port would have more power than a USB 3 port though. I guess this is as good an explanation as any but seems odd to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.