iPad shows two apple Tv's

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DankIllini, Oct 15, 2014.

1. DankIllini, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

DankIllini macrumors member

When ever i use the airplay function on my ipad, it shows that there are two apple TV's to choice from. My apple TV is hard wired and my wireless network is secure so i can't be picking up another apple TV. Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone know how i can get rid of the second one? The only thing i can think of is i used my friends apple TV for a week before i bought my own. But i don't know why it would still be showing up.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are they named the same thing, but with a number at the end? Like "Apple TV (2)" and "Apple TV (4)"? Your Apple TV may have seen a ghost of itself on your network and renamed itself. You can fix that by turning off the Apple TV and restarting your router, then turning the Apple TV back on again.

3. DankIllini thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is named Apple TV (2). Thanks I'll give it a try.

4. DankIllini thread starter macrumors member

So I reset the router and unplugged Apple TV, the second Apple tv (2) disappeared but after a little but it came back. Any other trouble shooting? It's not a big deal but I wouldn't like it to show up if possible

5. Toubro macrumors newbie

It's because you have updated to iOS8, which supports direct access to Airplay, so what you're actually seeing is a neighbours AppleTV, that you can connect to directly, without the need for being on the same network. If you choose it, a screen will come up on the TV with a passcode that you need to enter on you iDevice, so you can't just take over their AppleTV.

You can just rename your own AppleTV to be able to better tell them apart.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AirPlay Direct uses Bluetooth for the initial connection. Unless the iPad is with ~30 feet of the neighbor's Apple TV, that isn't what's happening.

7. AdamGingrich macrumors newbie

I suffered from the same problem.

I have a gen2 Apple TV. software is up to date on both it and my phone and iPad. phone and pad suffered form the exact problem, iMac wasn't for some reason. A full system restore of the Apple TV fixed it.

8. alfmil, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  9. sammyQc macrumors newbie

sammyQc

Mine too, was named Apple TV (2). Model Apple TV 4th Generation.

Just resetting router/wifi worked fine! Thanks :)