iPad sim in my iphone is working except 3g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2010.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Would like to see some of the senior hacker perspectives on this. I was able to install my sim from my ipad (with a sim adapter) into my iphone. Called ATT and they activated it no problem. Phone calls in/out work on a 3g tower. Internet only works on edge if I shut off 3g, but if 3g is on I get a message:

"Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

I definitely have the data plan on my iphone. When talking to ATT tech when setting up the phone they said everything was set up perfectly on their end and to just let the phone sit overnight and reset the network in the morning. I did all that and no change.

Anyone care to venture a guess? I'll be replacing the sim with a regular iphone one later on today, but it would be seriously nice to solve this for anyone else who would like to swap out their sims like this.

2. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

First off, when AT&T activated it did you make sure to tell them to switch your data plan over to the iPhone 3G data plan, because this is how AT&T has been very clever, or tried to be. They make each data plan a little different in the service it provides so that know when you switched phones, however it really doesnt make a difference.

ATT says:
    When activated any brand of iPhone you must:
    -Call AT&T
    -Have It Hooked Up to iTunes in a restored state with no data on it prior to calling
    -A Edge/3G Sim Card or new SIM card already in it
    -The IMEI number ready to be given
    -The type of iPhone (3GS, 3G, 2G) to get the correct data package
    -And your account information

So if you make sure that all this is done with you att.com/mywireless account or by calling them, maybe it'll work. I have known for quite sometime that the 256 MB Data service is not compatible with any iPhone, but maybe able to use with the 4G

3. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Let me clarify, I have an iphone 3gs which has been activated and working for a year or so with the iphone $30 data plan. I just did a sim swap with the ipad's sim, so my existing phone and data plan did not change at all, it was just like I lost my iphone sim and was doing a sim swap.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the techs. I told him I may have ordered the wrong sim and told him I had the ipad microsim, he said there shouldn't be a difference as long as the sim was setup correctly on their end. But towards the end of the conversation he was saying I might have a "bad" sim, whatever that means (probably I reached the end of his knowledge and it was easier to just reactivate a fresh sim than to fudge with mine).

I'm going to give ATT tech another shot later this morning, but if not I'll probably just give up and get a regular SIM from ATT.

4. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

"bad SIM" is a termed AT&T and T-Mobile have coined to basically say "when you took out the SIM card of your device to put it another, you effed up and caused your SIM to malfunction. Now you need to buy another one! Muwahaha" but then some people have always claimed to fix this.

By the back of his knowledge, you mean the back of whatever he could find on the computer that was believable.

And if you switch SIM cards from someone's phone, even if they are on a family plan with you, they have a different plan and it doesn't automatically switch to yours with your numbers, but because the iPad has a weird SIM card that uses your phone number and shiz, it is very hard to tell what your iPhone will do or react to it. This would be a great app on Cydia because this could help people who have an iPad and an iPhone and lose on of the SIMs

Thats my input and probably all I can provide, I was with AT&T for quite sometime, working, I hate T-Mobile and Verizon so wont be switching servers any time soon.