Ipad sim

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mowpar, Apr 2, 2015.

1. mowpar macrumors newbie

I have a gen four I pad with SIM card capabilities. I bought it used. I know nothing about the sim feature. I know something can be done to have Internet capabilities on the iPad away from home like some phones have, but I do not know what to do to attain this service. I believe the iPad is 4 G whatever that implies. I was told that I live in an area that 4G is unavailable, but I am not sure if this is right, can someone help me out with this if possible. I know I will need to buy a SIM card, but that is all I know. My zip code is 26726. Thanks. :D

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

In Settings -> General -> About, you should see a line "Carrier" - that will tell you which cellular carrier the iPad is for. (You can also look at the model number, A1459 is for AT&T, A1460 is for Verizon or Sprint.)

If you have a Verizon or Sprint model, it will work on either of those carriers at 4G speed, or on AT&T or T-Mobile at 3G speed.

If you have an AT&T model, it will work only on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Once you know which carriers you have to choose from (if it matches who you already have for cell phone service, that would be your best bet,) go to a retail store for that carrier and ask them how to activate it with them. If you already have cell phone service from the one you want, that would be the cheapest route - most carriers will let you add a tablet to your plan for not very much per month.