Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I know this has been posted before, but did not see any fixes. My iPad gets about 3 to 4 mbps download speeds, where my Macbook Air, Lenovo T400 get 15 to 20 mbps on the exact same home network/router. I have also tried another router with similar experience.

I called Apple Support and they said to do a back and restore, which I just did. That did not fix anything.

Anyone else have any other suggestions, before I call Apple Support again. They said if they Restore did not work, they may have to replace it. Guessing that would be a long wait. Thanks!

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Try connecting to the G band, or 2.4GHz N. It's still not great, but for some reason I've experienced better signal range and speeds when not on top of the router. With my Airport Extreme I can only get better N performance standing right next to the router, where as using G is more consistent throughout my apartment. I wish this weren't true so we could really benefit from N speeds (supposed to better range too), but either the hardware is flawed or it requires a firmware fix (it could also be the environment/interference related). NOTE: some people have better all around performance with N, but for those others like myself G is a better option.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
I'm like you, but waiting for apple to put out this supposed fix. I've heard the 17th as a possible date, probably because we're nearing the iPhone 4 release. Then again, many were sure that come the iPad international release we'd see an update. If this fix does not FIX, then I'm going straight to the Apple store for an exchange. I'd rather keep my first Pad, then go through replacements that might be worse or not improve at all.

FTR, some people have better wireless performance after switching to either an Apple router or just a newer third party.

Good luck, sir/ms.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I just tested and got 22.82Mbps. I suppose the problem occurs only on some iPads?

Edit: Also tested on Windows to compare. Got 24.73Mbps.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
So, still only getting about 3 to 4 mbps download speeds. Called Applecare and they had me do a full backup and restore. Unfortunately, that did not work. Then they had me take it to the Apple store, where they did a speedtest on my iPad with one of their iPad's doing a speedtest too. Both had similar results. Apple store had slow wireless, only about 1.4 mbps.

They did not replace my iPad, since their iPad had the same results. Still does not make sense, why my iPad can't get higher download speeds. It is about 4 to 5 times slower than my other laptops and iMac.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
What router and band are you using?

I don't know -- just the router and settings that came with Verizon FIOS. The only setting I changed was the security, to WPA.

Tested again using speedtest.net

iPhone:
13.34Mbps down
18.52Mbps up

iPad:
24.34Mbps down
18.99Mbps up

Windows:
24.74Mbps down
21.87Mbps up

I have a Mac Book Pro, but it is turned off now so I didn't bother.

Note: I tested the iPhone a number of times just now, and the consistently got 13/18 as above. So my iPad is just as fast as my desktop, but the iPhone is slower.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Try connecting to the G band, or 2.4GHz N.

Or 5gHz N.

There really isn't a "G band". I know it's confusing.

There's a 2.4 gHz band and a 5gHz band. G runs on 2.4 gHz only. N can run on either 2.4 or 5. Some N devices only work on 2.4 gHz. Some only work on 5. Some work on both.

Yea, I know it's confusing. I didn't invent this stuff...

Make sure you've given separate names to your 2.4 and 5 gHz beacons on your wireless router or access point. (I append _5gHz to the name.) Otherwise, you won't be able to choose one or the other.

I don't know of any way to force a G connection on the iPad. Anybody know a trick?

I get 22 mbit/sec down and 5 mbit/sec up on 5gHz N. 22 mbit/sec seems to be the limit for the iPad. (iPhone 3G has a 5mbit/sec limit). My Internet connection is capable of ~40mbit/sec, confirmed on my Macbook and Linux machines.

I fiddled with 2.4 and 5, finally settling on 5. 5 is less able to go through walls. 2.4 suffers more interference. You just have to experiment to see which one works best in which rooms.

Note that if you are on 2.4 gHz, the network may slow-down to the speed of your slowest device.

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Or 5gHz N.

There really isn't a "G band". I know it's confusing.

There's a 2.4 gHz band and a 5gHz band. G runs on 2.4 gHz only. N can run on either 2.4 or 5. Some N devices only work on 2.4 gHz. Some only work on 5. Some work on both.

Yea, I know it's confusing. I didn't invent this stuff...

Make sure you've given separate names to your 2.4 and 5 gHz beacons on your wireless router or access point. (I append _5gHz to the name.) Otherwise, you won't be able to choose one or the other.

I don't know of any way to force a G connection on the iPad. Anybody know a trick?

I get 22 mbit/sec down and 5 mbit/sec up on 5gHz N. 22 mbit/sec seems to be the limit for the iPad. (iPhone 3G has a 5mbit/sec limit). My Internet connection is capable of ~40mbit/sec, confirmed on my Macbook and Linux machines.

I fiddled with 2.4 and 5, finally settling on 5. 5 is less able to go through walls. 2.4 suffers more interference. You just have to experiment to see which one works best in which rooms.

Note that if you are on 2.4 gHz, the network may slow-down to the speed of your slowest device.

In most router configurations you can choose g-only in radio mode. If you have an airport hold "Option" when you click on Radio Mode. A whole slew of options will show up. Also, in my experience, 5GHz might be good when you're relatively close to the router, but as you get further (especially with walls/obstructions in between) the signal detiorates quickly. Using the 2.4GHz band, you might not get quite as a good a connection/speeds, but it's much more stable at distance than 5GHz. Again, this is in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.