iPad - Slow Wifi from my Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bgribin, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bgribin macrumors regular

I'm able to pull 50 megabits/second on my iMac (over wifi) but I only get about 5 mbits/sec on my iPad and iPhone. Sometimes I've seen it close to 10 - but nowhere near as high as it should be.

iPad w/3G, iPhone 4, Airport Extreme Early 2008.

My Airport is up to date and I've tried switching channels, etc, but nothing.

Any tips or ideas?

2. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

3. Jai.Mac macrumors member

Wish more people had an answer, I'm having the same issues. I don't think it's a problem with Airport Extreme, I think something was changed intentionally or accidentally in iOS 4 regarding wifi. A lot of other people have been having similar issues. All 3 of my devices have been upgraded to iOS 4 and all have the same slow wifi issue, I've tried a bunch of suggestions but none seem to work. Hopefully Apple will have a fix for this out soon, assuming they acknowledge it's a problem!

Sorry I couldn't be more help

4. iArch, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Having the very same issues here. Just installed a new Airport Extreme Base Station to replace my old Linksys WRT54GS 802.11g router. The AEBS is set up to use g and n under two separate network names. If I connect to n, the iPad repeatedly performs under 3 Mbps, even right next to the new router. :confused: On g it'll go as high as 17 right next to the router and up to about 12 Mpbs downstairs, right where my MacBook Pro will pull down almost 30 Mbps on the very same n network. Again, :confused:.

The iPad performed a tad better (but never great) with the old Linksys router.
    The MBP performs better with the new Airport Extreme.

I just can't believe that this is the norm. There has to be some sort of magic configuration tweak that needs to take place to make the Airport Extreme and iPad perform together as one would expect. Hopefully a solution will be posted here...

Edit: Apple's iPad support forum is overflowing with wifi related angst...
    http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1363

5. fabrixce macrumors newbie

My ipad and iphone 4 are having issues with internet speed also, i think it has something to do with Airport Extreme dual band, something with the 5ghz or 2.4ghz network, my imac and all other computers at home have no trouble and get me speeds of up to 6mb but when i do speedtests on my iphone or ipad it doesnt event get to 1mb... Help Please...

6. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Agreed. Since upgrading to iOS4 my WiFi has been horrible, but 3G is working pretty much the same. I notice it the most when running YouTube or Hulu. I can go back and forth in these applications between WiFi and 3G and the difference is night and day. I didn't really noticed any performance issues with my WiFi before iOS4.

Anybody have any updated news on a possible solution?

7. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same problem. I was downloading a file on my iPhone, through wifi I was getting about 25 KB/Sec and when I switched to 3g it jumped to 250 KB/Sec.

I also have the airport extreme.

8. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I have the same issue on the airport extreme, i also do not get push notifications for example, AIM .. They dont work on the airport extreme but when i connect to my friends Netgear it works fine. Can someone please help ??

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I've noticed significant speed decreases on my Time Capsule SIM-Dualband from Dec 2009 with firmware 7.5.1

Mail doesnt properly fetch all mail from my IMAP server and times out when sending. though on my macbook it works as it should.
    Not sure why all of a sudden its slowed down tremendously. Even websites randomly time out.

10. dhawman macrumors newbie

Really Bad Solution...

Well, I tried something on a hunch and it seems to have worked... Though I hate HATE HATE it, it is working.

I created a guest network with NO password. For some reason the Ipad seems to run MUCH MUCH faster when there is no password on the network. I have no idea why, but it works.

Anyone have a better way?? Please?

11. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Have you tried hiding the network at least?

12. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular