iPad slows down as a new one gets released?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andreigherghe, Nov 6, 2011.

1. andreigherghe macrumors member

andreigherghe

Someone posted on Twitter "Seems Apple has developed a proprietary technology that makes iPhones slow down as soon as a new one is released!", since his iPhone slowed down as the 4S was released. At first i thought "Meh, i guess it's just a coincidence." But then i wondered, what if Apple REALLY made them slow down when a new one is released? Have you guys noticed anything when new versions popped out?

Cheers,
    Andrei.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

no look at the 3gs 2 and half year old still going strong. Only slow down were the iphone 2g and 3g because of the ram and cpu capacity.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have a first generation iPad that I've had since launch...and I haven't noticed any slowdown. It's actually gotten faster (at least it seems that way) since I updated to iOS 5. But I have absolutely no complaints about the speed.

4. andreigherghe thread starter macrumors member

andreigherghe

Okay, thanks for your answers! Going to get an iPad 2. Wohoooo! :D

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Do people really have to even rationalise such a claim? Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave.

6. andreigherghe thread starter macrumors member

andreigherghe

?

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

As better and faster hardware is released, apps are developed to take advantage of these hardware upgrades. Older phones "appear" to slow down in "some" instances because the updates to the OS and apps are designed for the new hardware. No conspiracy here.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

My launch day iPhone 4 battery went really bad in the space of a a few days one week before the 4s came out. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, I'm just saying what happened to me.
    The thing just drops charge at a stupid rate and goes from 0% to 100% charge in about an hour. Whats weird is that it didn't deteriorate, it just suddenly went to ****.
    Still, I haven't upgraded to the 4S. Just no need to.

9. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Of course they don't program things to slow down

Technology on older hardware naturally and inadvertently slows down over time anyway. Take an OS, as the market demands faster, better operation and integration more processing power is needed to perform these tasks.

Do you alienate your existing, older customers by not giving them upgrades or do you upgrade them and trying and manage the updates so they will be backwards compatible, giving them the functionality but on older hardware. Of course some functions are going to be slower on older hardware.

There is a cut off point, like 3G/S not getting some features due to hardware restrictions.

So you can say devices do slow down over time but not because of an evil plan, because the market dictates evolution.

10. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

They were probably confusing iOS with MS Windows XP.

11. MallCop macrumors 6502

Could be he downloaded a bad version of iOS 5. Its been talked about that some downloads are causing speed issues.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The continued expansion of hardware capabilities clearly enable new technology to run software faster while delivering more capabilities, however to believe that Apple or any other company somehow rigs your older device to perform poorly starting when a new device is released is nonsense....

There are tens of millions of "old" iPhones and iPads in circulation today. That fact is something Apple loves, as these satisfied customers will continue to be loyal, future customers. Sabotaging their devices would not continue to endear them to Apple products...

13. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Actually the 3GS JavaScript speed increased considerably with the release of iOS5.

Although, I believe Apple was the cause of me dropping my 3gs and breaking the screen the day before the 4 was released making me order it on the preorder day.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

That was the timed release of lubricating oil. It made the phone very slippery and hard to hold...

15. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

THAT is what I smelled!!!

It was fun convincing the wife it was really an accident!

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, coincidental != causal. :rolleyes: