iPad Smart Case... One per year

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Ahonen, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I love the iPad Smart Cases. They are really nice, they offer reasonable protection, and they aren't too bulky. That being said, I go through about one a year, maybe even less than a year.

Is it just me? Or do these cases just not hold up very well? Seems like a particularly weak spot is the small strip that bridges the gap around the charger hole. That little strip has broken on every case I've had (three so far) except for the brand new one I got along with my iPad Air 2 for Christmas.

They are a little expensive to replace every year.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

3. Ahonen thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Hmm maybe it IS just me, maybe it's how I'm using it. I'm going to baby this one.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

I had my since the Air 1 came out, and it is still in excellent shape.

5. Deane2000, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

A-

When I was growing up my dad went through shoes the way you've been going through iPad cases. Actually he was wearing out shoes a lot faster. The thing was, he was buying what most people would consider cheap shoes and like the old adage, you get what you pay for, they wore quickly. Eventually I was able to educate him on the concept of value. While something might cost more initially, they fact they lasted 4 times longer actually saved him money in the long run.

What makes your situation even harder to live with is that the Smart Cases are not what anyone would call cheap. It sounds like you are ready to step up to an iPad case that represents a better value. Have you looked into a case that will not only last as long as you own the iPad, but will enable you to sell the iPad on (when it comes times to upgrade) for a higher resale value because the case itself has value and the iPad has been kept in pristine condition?

Have a look at something like this - iPad Folio

Handmade. Lifetime warranty. All the features of the smart cases but it smells a whole lot better.
    If you're done replacing case after case, it's a excellent solution.

6. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 4. I bought it on may 2013 and bought a Smart Case soon after. I bought another one for Christmas as the other was totally broken. They are quite expensive here so I'll take care of it even more, and I'm pretty careful with my Apple stuff.