iPad Smart Cover Bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sekazi, Mar 12, 2012.

1. sekazi, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

sekazi macrumors 6502

If you bought a leather smart cover and want to get rid of the color bleed follow the steps below.

If you like the shine of your cover then do not follow these step. If you want a shine closer to car leather then continue.

You need to have some paper towels, 70% Alcohol and a leather conditioner and cleaner.

I use Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner on my cars leather and this is what I am using on the iPad cover.

The first thing you want to do is saturate a paper towel in Alcohol and rub the entire surface of the cover. You may need to use 2 or 3 paper towels in order to get majority of the excessive color out.

Once you are only getting light bleeding dry the cover.

Now you want to use the leather cleaner. I spray it directly on the cover so I can get entire coverage easily. Once rubbed in wipe off excessive cleaner.

Now you can use the conditioner to finish off the cover. Do it the same way as the cleaner and just wipe it off with a clean paper towel afterwards.

This picture was taken with a flash so it is darker than it appears.
    [​IMG]

Using the leather cleaner and conditioner monthly should keep the cover in good shape and prevent it from drying out and scratching easily.

2. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

What happens if you don't use the alcohol? Also, why do you use the conditioner before the cleaner? Wouldn't it make more sense to clean then condition? If you do the conditioning first, won't the cleaner remove that conditioning?

I'm truly ignorant on these matters. I don't have any alcohol and bought the cream color smart cover so I would like to avoid stains and the like. Any input is appreciated.

3. sekazi thread starter macrumors 6502

Good catch. I mean Cleaner then Conditioner. I dont know what I was thinking when typing. All I remember is use the orange bottle then brown. I fixed the post.

The alcohol removes excessive ink in the cover. This is what makes the cover shiny and to cover up small imperfections in the cover. High quality leather to Apple is moderate quality. So they rather cover it up and put a warning if it gets wet expect to get colored.