iPad Smart Cover or eBay Alternative?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Rookie1986, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of getting a cover to help keep the screen of my iPad nice and new looking and I was wondering if it is worth paying then £59 they charge for the Leather Smart Covers from the apple store or should I just look at a cheaper alternative on the like of eBay or Amazon?

Thanks a bunch ^_^

/Rookie

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

In my opinion the smart covers are highly overrated, where they fold they leave awful dust smears down the screen and when you open the smart cover it adds more bulk than you would imagine to holding your iPad especially for when playing games. Instead I would suggest you just pick up a sleeve, keep it in that and then use it naked like it was intended to be used.

3. scorpionfalcon macrumors newbie

I agree, the smart cover started to become a PIA whenever I was using the iPad. It is very awkward when folded back and not being used as a stand.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Have the non-leather version in blue. (My seven year old selected it.) Overpriced? Yes. Leather version overpriced? Definitely yes. Functional? Also, at least imo, also yes.

I haven't found that the SmartCover leaves marks on the screen. But I'm slightly OCD about keeping my screen clean with a microfiber cloth to eliminate fingerprints, so perhaps I just don't notice the less obvious marks from the cover. Once I got the knack of correctly folding the cover, I haven't had problems. But again, I usually have my iPad in a stand so the functionality of the SmartCover as a stand is not used very often.

As far as I know (and I may well be wrong) there aren't cheaper alternatives that are identical to the SmartCover. There are, of course, combination front covers and back cases that are less expensive, especially if you add the price of a back protector to the cost of the SmartCover. But that's a slightly different product.

If I were to start from scratch, I might well select a product that covers both the back and front and properly activates the iPad's sleep function. That combination might be less expensive. But the easy removal of the SmartCover without disturbing the back protector is convenient, imo.

5. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Better than apple smart cover plus back cover case

Check out the Khomo dual iPad 2 case. It has the smart cover front and the super thin snap on rubberized back cover, all in 1 case.

Someone gave me one and I am hooked $19.99 on amazon can not be beat.

http://www.amazon.com/KHOMO-DUAL-CASE-Polyurethane-Poly-carbonate/dp/B005CI7V1Q

This is a fantastic case, and as picky as I am, I see no downside yet.

6. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

its always good to have apple smart cover, and another ipad case to just switch around

7. sexytabitha macrumors regular

i personally am leery of cheap ebay covers and cases, you do get what you pay for

----------

and this is one for sure you have everyone saying negatives and just him the seller selling hard