iPad iPad Smart Cover - Tilt

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Oliver G, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Oliver G macrumors regular

I am currently using a 64GB iPad 3 (Retina) with a product red iPad Smart Cover. However I am noticing the tilt of the Smart Cover is increasing over time and it is now at an angle that is ridiculous.

The photo below shows the original tilt of the Smart Cover...

[​IMG]

While this photo shows the current tilt...

[​IMG]

I sometimes have the iPad on my bedside table and with the current angle it is getting very hard to see the screen. Does anyone have suggestions to fix the tilt to its original angle?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't recall the original angle ever being nearly as vertical as you are illustrating. We have the Product Red cover on our iPad 4 and we were always having to prop something under it to get a good video chat angle. We finally broke down and bought a case with a real kickstand.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Every iPhone dock and iPad smart cover I've used keeps the device tilted like the current one and I prefer it that way. Otherwise its too easy for the iPad to tip forward and possibly break the glass if it falls against something hard. If you place thick fabric between the iPad and the panel that touches its back that should move it closer to vertical.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I don't understand. The first picture shows the iPad on a magazine which is pushing it forward?

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Good eye...

6. seble macrumors 6502a

Exactly, whilst the magazine doesn't appear to be very quick, it's making the OP's claims a bit dubious.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No it isn't.

The OP said that the angle has changed over time and since the OP doesn't have a time machine he's using the magazine to simulate the angle his smart cover used to hold the iPad at.

8. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

OP is correct. The folds in the smart cover start to wear out over the corse of year.

I used the same cover for a year on my 4th gen and it got to the point where I'd actually slip a pen between the fold and the back of the ipad to move it up some before I finally just bought a new one.

There is no way to fix, just buck up and get another one.

9. seble macrumors 6502a

I'm so dumb.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is a problem with the three-panel smart covers; the four-panel ones would not have this problem.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The OP has a four panel cover.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Hmmm...you're right.