iPad smart cover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mustu, May 16, 2012.

1. mustu macrumors 6502

Hey guys I know this may have been in the topic before but I did a google search before.

Which smart cover looks the best with black iPad? In leather!

2. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

The one you like the best. This really is the answer.

3. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

It covers the colored part anyway, so it doesn't matter. They all look good. I prefer black.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

well black is probably the most popular one, but I also like the navy blue one.

5. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I went with the tan leather smart cover and then darkened it using oil. Now it looks like a nice aged, brown leather. It looks great against my black iPad.

6. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

I reordered myself a black leather smart cover. It'll be used when I don't use my Otterbox. I have a White iPad though. All black would look sexy I think

7. zooby macrumors 6502a

I have a white iPad and I love the contrast of the Black/White combo with my black leather smart cover. I have the same combination for my phone (White iPhone + Black bumper) ... it's a very nice contrast! You will like it!

8. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

I like my padded leather one from BoxWave ($17 from Amazon) better than the $40-and-up versions from Apple and others, many of which are NOT leather.

One caveat: Apple did not tell 3rd-party suppliers when they changed the magnet polarity requirements. For covers produced between 3-6 months ago, many will have a 50-50 chance of the magnet being flipped to the wrong polarity. Alas, mine was; I had to slice it out of the cover and turn it around (minor invisible blemish now).

9. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I have a whlte iPad and was going to go with the polyurethane because it was cheaper. My wife, on the other hand. really likes the dark blue leather model, so I got that one. I must say that I also really like the way the whilte looks with the Navy blue smart cover.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Got the red. Looks awesome IMO.

It's really subjective - you just get what you like.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

by the end of this thread you'll have at least one person who will like at least one of the available colours...and then you'll be stuck again. so, my suggestion is just go to a store and take a look at which one you like better. such a subjective decision.

i think on apple's website you can mix and match the colours with either a black or white iPad and virtually open/close the smartcover to get a feeling for what looks good to you.

12. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I got the black cover and it looks amazing :)

Now I need a case ( like a sleeve ) that I cant put the ipad in with the smart cover. Leather is good option for me.

Cost is not a issue up to $ 250 is fine.

Any suggestions.

I have looked at Tumi so far

13. dancj macrumors 6502

Go the the apple web site and start to buy an iPad. When it offers you accessories chose the smart cover and it'll show you screen where you can see each of the colours animated on the colour of iPad you chose.

14. mikeymike1 macrumors newbie

Absolutely up to you, there are some great colours out there. I went with navy blue leather, teamed with a matching Incipio Smart Feather case for the back.

15. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

What a silly question! Who cares what other people think! What do YOU like?

16. SYale macrumors member

Exact same combination I have haha. White ipad, navy smart feather and navy smart cover. Then just got a cheap 10 dollar sleeve so I can stow it in my backpack. I have to say, I love it a lot. Portability protection, but still the thin factor intact!

17. flyinjack macrumors newbie

How did you do it exactly? Also, does the color rub off and get on your hands (bag, clothes, etc.)?

Could you post a pic?

It sounds like a great idea.

Thanks.

18. transphasic macrumors member

Check out the ones at coach, they're quite attractive. If I had $250 to burn on one, I'd probably get one of those.

19. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I'm at work right now, but I will post some pictures of it when I get home. The color does not rub off and appears to hold up well. I did mine about a month ago and it still looks just as good. If you do get any scuffs or notice color fades, simply touch it up with some more of the oil.

20. tbayrgs, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I wanted to protect the back of my iPad but hate to ruin the design/form factor by covering it in a case so I went with a skin (sorry, MR doesn't seem to allow the vendor's name to appear). Both the black leather and black powder coated look great with the black leather smart cover. I personally prefer the Extreme fit as they cover the entire back (excluding camera, speaker and buttons, of course) but are a bit difficult to apply without the corners bunching up.

21. WSR macrumors regular

I don't think you have too worry to much about the smart cover with any sleeve designed to the iPad2 or 3 and probably even for the 1. I've bought 2 carrying cases and mine fit in easily in both with the smart cover.

The main things I would suggest thinking about when it comes to a sleeve or carrying case in general are:
    1 Cushioning.
    2 What accessaries you might want to carry around, i.e. cables, bluetooth keyboard, charger, etc.
    3 Do you want a shoulder-strap or handles?

You might also want to think about a snap on cover for the back to keep it from getting scratched up. Just make sure it's compatible with the smart cover.

Last note, I also got a black smart cover for my black front iPad3.