Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariaizadi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2015
I’d like to share my thoughts on the smart folio as I was close to not buying it based on other’s experiences. I’ve read a bunch of posts on the forum mentioning how the edges are really sharp and I saw a review video where the guy said he could even get a paper cut from it. I just received mine from Best Buy, and my opinion couldn’t be more different. The edges are really thin which is a plus for me, but they aren’t sharp even in the slightest. I’ve haven’t felt any discomfort when flipping the cover around the back and holding it. I like the folio, although the price is steep, I think it’s the best option as a minimalist case.

Reactions: eagleglen and gjr74

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Do you know how much it weighs? I bought a knock-off (Moko brand) for my IPP 11, and it's quite a bit heavier than I expected It weighs 8 - 9 oz per my old mechanical postage scale, so half or more the weight of the iPad itself. It’s not like the weight is unmanageable, but it’s definitely noticeable.

For anyone who is curious, the Moko fits fine. The lining feels like cheap fabric, not suede-like, like the Smart Cover I had on my IPP 9.7. But, well, the Moko IS cheap.

EDIT - and now I found another post with the Smart Folio weight. Sorry!

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Do you know how much it weighs? I bought a knock-off (Moko brand) for my IPP 11, and it's quite a bit heavier than I expected It weighs 8 - 9 oz per my old mechanical postage scale, so half or more the weight of the iPad itself. It’s not like the weight is unmanageable, but it’s definitely noticeable.

For anyone who is curious, the Moko fits fine. The lining feels like cheap fabric, not suede-like, like the Smart Cover I had on my IPP 9.7. But, well, the Moko IS cheap.

EDIT - and now I found another post with the Smart Folio weight. Sorry!

Can you post pics. I'm tied between ordering this or just picking a Folio at Apple. Price is not really a deal-breaker, but the difference is like $50 and I've bought Moko before and it was decent quality.

Thanks!

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
Can you post pics. I'm tied between ordering this or just picking a Folio at Apple. Price is not really a deal-breaker, but the difference is like $50 and I've bought Moko before and it was decent quality.

Thanks!
I have the Apple one, the Moko, and the Ztotop. Also had the Apple keyboard folio which I hated and returned. Loved the smart keyboard cover for the 10.5” pro but hate the new design for the third gen pro. Found a GREAT and reasonably priced third party Bluetooth keyboard and case/stand that fits the 11” perfectly and works great. Anyways back to the folio cases...I typically always buy and use a third party “clone” iPad case. Even though the Apple folio is around $50 more than the Moko and Ztotop, I’m keeping the Apple one for three main reasons. One, the heavier weight of the Moko and Ztotop covers is definitely noticeable. I don’t have a scale to compare but I can absolutely tell the weight difference. The Apple is significantly lighter. Two, I have two dogs so there’s always a bit of pet hair around my place. The “microfiber” (if you can even call it that) on the inside covers of the Moko and Ztotop is nowhere near the quality/thickness/plushness of the Apple one. On the Apple one, the microfiber doesn’t really attract pet hair or dust. The other two are dust and pet hair magnets. Three, the Apple one just looks and feels much more premium. Worth the extra cost for me. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
Reactions: gjr74

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
2E5A44E7-9874-41D0-A769-70512F675305.jpeg
E5BBA8A7-76B2-45EB-B146-02343517E5D8.jpeg
E91FAFF5-A03E-4A4D-AE13-4727E31256AF.jpeg
AB4CB190-5309-4588-A83C-767D837B7AC5.jpeg

Pics of the Moko (excuse the reflection of a pendant light, looks like a UFO!).

I ended up picking up an Apple Folio at Best Buy. The Moko fit is good, IMO. It’s darker than the Apple Folio and I think shows finger marks less, not that the Apple is terrible. But with the lighter weight of the Apple and the nicer lining fabric (pet hair is a problem at my house too), the Moko is going back.

Reactions: gjr74 and Donka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.