iPad SMS

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by an-other, Jan 13, 2014.

1. an-other macrumors regular

I'm looking for a way to SMS send/recieve messages on my iPad. It appears Google voice will do the trick (but I prefer not to use google stuff.) Anyone have any suggestions or apps they've had good experience?

I can't use iMsg as it has to be IOS independent.

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    My family uses TextNow. We use it with devices, cell phones, and computers. Handles photos nicely and it can receive and send phone calls.

I have it installed on my iPad, iPod, and both office and home desktops using Windows. Also received texts from the app on my dumb phone.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TextMe let's you send SMS messages from your iPad, and also make and receive phone calls. I'm sure there are many such apps.

4. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Why do you prefer not to use Google software? Their solution with voice is really the best I've found.

5. an-other thread starter macrumors regular

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

You can try CoverMe, Zipaclip, Wickr, Aclipsa, or iCrypter apps. You didn't say how secure you wanted your text messages. I would assume that the U.S Government is monitoring the above-referenced processing services.

Silent Text was among the best and completely secure until the owner shut it down after government agents forced him to hand over the encryption keys.

It appears the war on privacy is being lost and yanked out of the hands of the people. Good luck in your search.

7. an-other thread starter macrumors regular

Ended up on Ggl Voice

I investigated a few options, and ended up selecting the Mountain View, CA one. I created a separate account just for texting with a new number.

It was a bit unintuitive to set this up as iPad only, but I got there. It literally took a computer, mobile web and their app to get it configured. (I bow to anyone who could do it more efficiently.)

I'm still a little anxious about tracking stuff (and no, don't write me off as someone wearing a colander on their head underneath a tin foil tent. My industry uses personal marketing data.)

The government tracking is another concern, but that's the cost of entry. It's hard to resolve the "safer world thing" with "moral corruption." Goodness knows what they have or have not prevented through voice and data monitoring.

Thanks for the assistance.