Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I want to know people's opinion on the iPad's soft keyboard,
How do you feel about it?
Do you think it needs improvement ?
Did apple mention anything about improving it?

I certainly feel it needs a little bit of change, switching keyboards instead of using a "SHIFT" key might be a smart move for a hand-held device, but I feel like the different buttons are organized in a weird way.

For example numbers are used way too often to have them on a different keyboard, so is the apostrophe,
Why do you need 2 caps lock keys?

They soft keyboard changes symbols from one text field to another,
Sometimes you get the ".com" button and other times you don't, ?

I am not saying the iPad sucks because of this
I am saying that this is one thing apple can improve on to take the iPad closer to perfection.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

I certainly feel it needs a little bit of change, switching keyboards instead of using a "SHIFT" key might be a smart move for a hand-held device, but I feel like the different buttons are organized in a weird way.

For example numbers are used way too often to have them on a different keyboard, so is the apostrophe,

I am saying that this is one thing apple can improve on to take the iPad closer to perfection.

It's as good as it can be from a functioning point of view.

The only thing Apple should do, without question, is allow developers to do custom keyboard layouts for sale.

I know a lot of people would like Cursor Keys, and also Numbers without having to mess about as we currently do.

This is totally up to Apple and if they think we deserve a choice.

bbhegedus

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010

i dont like the giant undo button on the symbols keyboard

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
It's as good as it can be from a functioning point of view.

The only thing Apple should do, without question, is allow developers to do custom keyboard layouts for sale.

I know a lot of people would like Cursor Keys, and also Numbers without having to mess about as we currently do.

This is totally up to Apple and if they think we deserve a choice.

I would like to have cursor keys too
also having to hit one button to change the keyboard to numbers, then another button in the numbers keyboard to switch to symbols is confusing

I always thought if apple can let us customize our keyboards in the settings, by pulling and dropping the buttons we want and change their sizes to fit our needs best

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I don't think it's a good idea to have the numbers keys on the main keyboard layout, screen space is at a premium already

The reason you need two caps keys is for people who can actually type. I'm surmising you aren't a touch typist on a full size keyboard. Having just one caps lock key would slow me down.

I think where apple could introduce something is with the two .?123 keys. Having one to change to the numbers lay out should be enough, the second key could then be used for something else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.