IPad speaker hiss

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RobNor, Jun 6, 2010.

1. RobNor macrumors 6502

Just noticed that my iPad has a hiss from the speaker whenever a sound is made or when the keyboard is brought up, this hiss continues for a few seconds after the sound has finished.It is independent of the volume setting.There is no hiss from the headphone output of if you use the line out.

Both my iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G also exhibit this hiss but it's less noticeable

I've had the iPad for 5 weeks and only just noticed this!

2. ukyo229 Guest

are you sure it's a hiss?

Being connected to the music industry, I know a bit about sound. Hissing is generally the culprit of a receiver.

Is there any crackling? what type of sound are your playing through it's speakers? If it's on your other devices, it could be that you are damaging the speakers, but that seems highly unlikely.

would you think "buzzing" is a better word than "hissing" to describe it?

3. RobNor thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ukyo229 Guest

Well, since it happens on your other devices, it doesn't seem reasonable to think that your iPad has a faulty speaker.

The only other culprit I could think of, is when it needs to convert the sound (a bit hard to explain) but again, it happens on your other devices...

hmm, are you generally an unlucky person? you could of bought all faulty goods! haha :p

but seriously, this is something you would need to contact Apple technicians about.

5. RobNor thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody else have this?

You have to put your ear up close to the speaker to hear it

6. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

This reminds me of the high pitch whistle the iPhone 3GS was making in some instances when the phone was locked or unlock - it was the 15Khz tone which some people cannot hear while some can - here's a refresh: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/some-iphone-3g-s-units-emitting-high-pitched-tone/ This was eventually fixed with a firmware update. UPDATE: Yes, lock your iPad, hold the speaker to your ear and unlock it, you'll hear a hiss for about about 3 seconds after the sound has finished.

7. Czicks macrumors member

I get this as well. The hiss doesn't increase with volume (or go away with mute) but is certainly related to having programs open, or the keyboard displayed.

8. RobNor thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a bit annoying that the hiss is more obvious on the ipad than on the iphone

9. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

If you have to put your ear up close to the speaker to hear it... why does it matter?

10. Czicks macrumors member

In a normal office or house there will be ambient noise that covers up the sound; however my house is sometimes dead quite and the hiss becomes quite obvious.

I personally will be researching the issue (how to reproduce) and submitting a report to Apple.

11. elmosport macrumors newbie

My new iPhone4 does this also

Not sure if have to post this to iPhone theread. Yes, my phone starts to make this hissing and buzzing noice suddenly. In the beginning it is quite loud but then it gets down and vanished; sounds like an old gramophone. This noice arise e.g. while opening a camera/video application and after taking a picture:eek:, playing songs from iPod application etc. Everytime when speaker is needed. As a phone it's just fine and I can hear without any problem and no buzzing. Humidity indicators are "white" and phone is about 1 month old.

Did you get any answers?

EDIT: TYPO errors. Sorry ;-)