iPad speaker pop

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmargolis, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jmargolis macrumors member

Whenever I start to play audio on my iPad using the built in speaker there is a brief popping sound from the speaker. Then after stoping the audio there is another quieter pop about 8 seconds after the audio stops. This doesn't happen with earphones, just with the built in speaker. And it happens every time. I think what is happening is the speaker goes to sleep after 8 seconds of not being used. And there is a popping sound when it starts up and also when it shuts down. Is this normal? I don't have this problem with my iPhone.

2. Database macrumors member

I've never noticed anything like that... sounds defective.

3. jmargolis thread starter macrumors member

So I brought it to the Apple store. The 2 guys I spoke with never heard of this problem. One of them took it into the back room to run diagnostics (which checked out), and to listen himself in a quiet room (it's too loud in the main part of the store to hear it). He compared to a few other iPads and said they all do this.

I find this strange that nobody has heard of this problem before, but they all do it. My ears are not that sensitive. Try this yourself: Take your iPad to a quiet room, wait about 10 seconds after shutting down any audio, and then play a song using the built-in speakers. As soon as you click play, is there a speaker pop that starts same exact time as the music? If you stop and start again, wait 10 seconds after stopping before starting again to hear it again. If you hear it (or don't hear it), what model iPad is yours? Mine is 3rd gen iPad with AT&T (though I have cellular turned off for now).