iPad Ipad spending battery while sleeping

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Naramis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Naramis macrumors member

I have an ipad air for about a year now. When I wasn't using it, it spent almost no battery. I would charge to 100%, go to sleep and wake up with 99%. But around a week ago this changed. I picked it up after 2 days of not using and it was at 35% (I was pretty sure I left it at 100%). Yesterday I charged it to full, went to sleep and woke up to 85%.
    What could be the problem? WiFi and 4g are on, but they always were, and signal at my house is strong since it sleeps close to the router

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The 4G does use a little extra battery but it shouldn't be that much. are you sure that background app refresh isn't on by chance? Is email set to fetch new data frequently? Are there some other apps or whatever running?

There has to be something. I'd shut the cellular data off at night if you aren't using it though. Start there.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds to me like you have something going on in the background that you did not have when no battery was being used.

Look under "usage" to tell where your power is going. It does not lie.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

If you can't identify a rogue app, try powering it fully off and then back on again.
    If the issue remains, try a 'reset all settings' and see if that resolves it.

5. Naramis thread starter macrumors member

Most usage while the device is sleeping is coming from Mail.. It's set to fetch email every 15 min, but it always was (no push from Gmail in iOS)

However, there's some usage from Contacts and Notes.. I haven't added new contacts or notes for weeks.. Gonna have to investigate that

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yep, both of those could be polling or updating or whatever else. Apps do that sometimes and you wouldn't think of it. Take a look and make sure you know exactly what's ON and what's truly OFF.