Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
It's not a true window multitasking on the iPad but there's many useful aspects about it.
window multitasking?!?!? … there is multitasking

- like I can easily play music via Airplay/Bluetooth to my stereo while copying files in the background from/or to my iPad from my home NAS while creating data plots and visualisations using Jupyter side to side (splitview) with Apples Pages or Collabora… talking iPadOS 15.5 here -

which can be improved on iPadOS… e.g. realtime mixing of different audio sources anyone? Or printing related… oh, well, iPadOS 16 seems to improve greatly on the latter….

but “window multitasking”? 😂🤣🥹😁🤓

And of course much better to have a real external monitor support than what we have currently.
AFAIK stage manager implements an “extented desktop mode”-analog on iPadOS - is there now any full screen “mirrored mode“ support? Are these public or private APIs stage manager is using?

Reactions: iPadLoverrr

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
One thing I hope they add is the ability to use the camera on the tablet in apps which are open on the external display.
We still exist at a point where the camera ceases to work for more VC apps even when you just split screen them.
The testing I've done on the the Dev beta of 16 suggests that for now apps open on the external screen can't "see" the iPad camera.

taxyovio

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
I have a Dell Thunderbolt dock I use with my work laptop. It worked with the iPad playing music through USB speakers, storage attached, USB mouse and Ethernet. Also outputting HDR to the monitor. I had a few crashes but they were few and far between.
What output are you using to the monitor? DisplayPort, HDMI, or USB-C/Thunderbol?

I have a Caldigit TS4 and the DisplayPort just doesn’t work with Stage Manager.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
The testing I've done on the the Dev beta of 16 suggests that for now apps open on the external screen can't "see" the iPad camera.
I understand this correctly as e.g. if you run the latest Zoom (version 15.11.2) within Stage Manager on an external monitor the iPad camera doesn’t work? Not even for Facetime?

Can somebody kindly comment on this?

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
I understand this correctly as e.g. if you run the latest Zoom (version 15.11.2) within Stage Manager on an external monitor the iPad camera doesn’t work? Not even for Facetime?

I haven't tried it on Dev Build 3 but I will do

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018

Just re-tried this on Dev Beta 3 - still the same that any VC app (Facetime, Zoom, Teams) cannot "see" the iPad camera if its being used on the external screen, I really hope that changes but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Reactions: VaruLV

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Just re-tried this on Dev Beta 3 - still the same that any VC app (Facetime, Zoom, Teams) cannot "see" the iPad camera if its being used on the external screen, I really hope that changes but I'm not going to hold my breath.
thanks for checking.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Have we worked out yet if the 16GB RAM models have a material difference in performance when multitasking with stage manager? I’m tossing up between buying this as I plan to have lots of things open and use an external display too.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
only makes a difference if you are utilizing enough of the ram, same as any other computer device that is 8gb vs 16gb.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I decided against buying to future proof seeing that most iPads have <8GB ram anyway so developers aren't building super RAM hungry apps, and my use case is predominantly office tasks. I figured for A$700 more, which is about a third of the price of the iPad Pro 512gb, I may as well just put that towards buying a new iPad in a couple of years time.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I decided against buying to future proof seeing that most iPads have <8GB ram anyway so developers aren't building super RAM hungry apps, and my use case is predominantly office tasks. I figured for A$700 more, which is about a third of the price of the iPad Pro 512gb, I may as well just put that towards buying a new iPad in a couple of years time.
What are your thoughts on how long a 4GB RAM iPad (such as the iPad 10th gen with an A14 and 4GB RAM) would be viable and not feel like it is getting bogged down?

I, too, was thinking of buying something like the Air 5th gen because it would be future proof with the M1 and 8 GB RAM, but was wondering if that was overkill- and I could pick up a 10th gen iPad for $389 right now at Costco, and all I really would be doing is web browsing, social media, and photo editing in Pixelmator Photo (which currently when using it on display models at the store, I don't see any difference at all in speed/performance between the iPad 10th gen, Air 5, or the latest Pro).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
What are your thoughts on how long a 4GB RAM iPad (such as the iPad 10th gen with an A14 and 4GB RAM) would be viable and not feel like it is getting bogged down?

I, too, was thinking of buying something like the Air 5th gen because it would be future proof with the M1 and 8 GB RAM, but was wondering if that was overkill- and I could pick up a 10th gen iPad for $389 right now at Costco, and all I really would be doing is web browsing, social media, and photo editing in Pixelmator Photo (which currently when using it on display models at the store, I don't see any difference at all in speed/performance between the iPad 10th gen, Air 5, or the latest Pro).

The first 4GB RAM iPad was released in 2015. It was 2017 when 4GB first came to the 10-11" class size.

We have a 2018 iPad 6th gen (A10/2GB) and a 2019 iPad 7th gen (A10/3GB). For web browsing (Safari), I find the 6th gen freezes/stutters quite a bit even when compared to the 7th gen which just reloads a lot.

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
You'd soon run into CPU limitations than RAM first.
Interesting! The A14 is still quite powerful, and doesn't lag very far behind the M1 in single core benchmark tests- but does it seem that apps will quickly be bloated and require a lot more processing power, now that the M1 is available?

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Still trying to get used to stage manager. I go to turn it on and then get frustrated with limitations. A big one is that i really don’t understand the automatic sizing that happens. I want to curate those things myself.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Still trying to get used to stage manager. I go to turn it on and then get frustrated with limitations. A big one is that i really don’t understand the automatic sizing that happens. I want to curate those things myself.
I think it was a mistake to have the app resize away from the centre point of the app as you drag - it does feel weird. I think it is way better than it was when it first launched but I still think just giving window size and position control over to the user would make more sense.

Reactions: anthony13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.