iPad stand alone device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bladesmad, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bladesmad macrumors newbie

Are there any issues with using an iPad as a stand alone device, what are the limitations and are there any issues with updating the software/firmware and resets.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

Not a good idea in my case. I won't get my iOS updates without a computer. I won't be able to do heavy processing (scan receipts, handouts, pamphlets, articles, etc.), run optical character recognition on pdfs, view websites with funky formatting, upload files to sites, etc. I won't even be able to use full-featured word processors like Microsoft Word or Scrivener.

I can go for days or weeks without a computer, but forever? No. I love my MBP, but if I wanted to, I would be fine with a sub-300 netbook. So, for under 800 you can get everything you need.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I think he was asking about using the iPad without ever syncing it with a computer now that it is possible through ios 5.

You will have a backup issue. But updating ios devices without a computer is easy. There is an option in settings to update your device.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

you're right. i didn't catch that in the general settings. technically, i guess you could use the ipad without a computer.

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

He could backup to iCloud without any issues.

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

With the introduction of IOS5 and OTA updates I think it's possible depending on what you do. If you create long or complicated documents, spreadsheets, heavy editing on photos/videos, that sort of thing then no, you will miss a full-blown device.

The thing that I miss the most on my iPad is a file management system and SD slot. File management and transferring files to the iPad is frustrating at best. Upload to Dropbox, download to Dropbox, yada, yada, yada.... Or use iTunes.

Other than that, since my retirement I could use my iPad almost exclusively.