iPad stands in the UK

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by zen, May 20, 2010.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Just to change the topic from cases...

Has anyone in the UK found a decent stand? I was looking for one of those small business card holders that people in the US have been talking about, but haven't been able to find anythere here that matches (I've tried Staples, Ryman, Amazon and WH Smith). I thought of one of those folding plate stands, but all I can find are some hideous wooden ones.

Anybody in the UK had any luck?

2. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Well, I got a black Plate Stand for 99p from my local hardware store.
    So, to answer your question...no, lol!:D
    The plate stand will be pretty cool though.

3. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Damn, I didn't think to try my local B&Q!

The only plate stand I found was something like this, which is, in my opinion, revolting.

[​IMG]

4. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I'll post a pic of my plate stand later (i'm at work at the moment), its not too bad because it is simple and not too antique-y.
    They had one grey-silver plate stand but no price on it -shame, because it matched the back of the iPad, so I just went with black.

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I sold my universal dock on ebay ahead of my iPad arriving next Friday and bought a dock that could fit both my iPhone & iPad, something called the iCrado by Konnet.

[​IMG]

It looks good, but it's a little "flyaway" i.e. try to take the iPhone off the stand and the stand comes up too. Otherwise it looks good next to my iMac. Someone on the forum bought one two and there are pictures out there with the iPad docked on the iCrado.

But then over on iLounge I saw this stand: the Skadoosh.

[​IMG]

Love the look, love the fact you adjust the angle, and the fact it can be used with or without the charging cable. And it looks like it will weight enough no now be pulled up when un-docking. That folded out section at the back (which does fold back underneath the dock) is used for when you want the angle the iPad back as far as about 40 degrees. I'm definitely considering it after I see how the iCrado goes next week...

6. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Where did you get your iCrado from? It looks pretty cool (and I like the colours), although with the built-in dock it obviously only allows the iPad to stand in the portrait position.

7. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Actually, think I have found my stand:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just grabbed one off ebay, UK seller.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Go into ikea there is a stainless steel stand for a chopping board. Looks like the macally(sp) ones they have in the us.

9. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

As Promised...

Here is my 99p wonder....

[​IMG]

Had to post this pic of my iPad case sitting on the stand -my life is so empty :( lol

[​IMG]

Seriously though, it does show that with a little bit of inventiveness (and less than a quid), you don't need to spend a fortune on a stand. I don't think it looks TOO bad.

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Amazon, £24.99. Can't say it's worth that much, £15 would be more like it.

That's actually quite cool - not the most attractive stand, but it's malleability is impressive. Would there be enough clearance on the bottom when the iPad is vertical to allow the charging cable to be plugged in though?

11. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

I quite like the look of it - kinda chunky! To me it doesn't look like it would fit the cable when in portrait, but I intend to sit it in landscape anyway (due to the configuration of my desk mostly).