iPad stock app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by lulla01, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I dont understand why apple didn't include a stock app for the iPad.
    Especially now with the new stock ticker in the notification system its awesome. Does anyone know why they didn't put it in the iPad? It doesn't seem like a lot of work.

2. dacapo macrumors 6502

I just use the CNBC app. Look into it.

3. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

CNBC app is terrible, especially with the latest update where they are using huge ads taking up almost quarter of the screen!

Try Yahoo MarketDash - it's very similar to iPhone stock app, but optimized for iPad.

4. iceman027 macrumors member

use the bloomberg app or the yahoo finance one, they are much better

5. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

Tick

I want the notification ticker functionality that the iPhone has on 5.0

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

7. dacapo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I know the cnbc app ads have gotten pretty obtrusive lately, but for premarket/after-market quotes and tracking realtime quotes it's hard to beat.

I only tried the bloomberg app on the iPhone, but it didn't seem to have the same level of price info. Maybe it's good for researching companies. In any case I don't think the stock app from apple can compare with either of these.

8. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

then

then its time for them to overhaul the app. They release apps and just don't update them. Take their poker game, not one update since release. Stock app needs to LIVE!

9. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Yahoo finance app (Marketdash) is solid, Bloomberg app is good too. Cnbc app isn't so hot IMHO.

10. psonice macrumors 6502a

I think some of you guys are missing the point. There's lots of great stock apps out there, but only the apple stocks app has the cool ticker in the notification dropdown on iOS5. The ipad doesn't have a stocks app (or weather, which is also super cool for the same reason). Thus, we're left with an empty, desolate notifications dropdown on the ipad, and a cool useful one on the iphone.

Of course, we're only on the first beta, and there's a good few months before iOS 5 is actually launched, so perhaps we'll see these apps on the ipad by then. Or perhaps apple will let developers add their own widgets to the dropdown, and the weather + stock app makers can deliver something even cooler.

11. hleewell macrumors 6502a

Now we are past October 12th launch of iOS 5, and I have managed to update to iOS 5, but no Stock & Weather app for Notifications. And yes, sadly, that drop down menu bar is empty as a grade school chalk board in June

12. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

Marketsmith. It is a paid program though. But it is really badax:cool:

13. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Wow.....iOS5 on the iPads and still no weather or stock app? Seriously?

What in the flying holy hell is the point of excluding those default apps that are on the ipod and iphone? Glaring oversight or piss-poor decision on Apple's part.

14. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

There is a bazillion of weather/stock iPad apps in the App Store, including good free choices. I don't see a big deal with Apple not providing these as built in apps

15. Ritlun macrumors newbie

App for stockmarket

I use Bloomberg - it's free and it updates when you open it.

16. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The better question is why didn't they add the weather, and clock apps. Seriously. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't include those

17. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Probably so they don't cannibalize iPhone sales... especially considering the iPad has 3G and can do VOIP with a Bluetooth headset (tho, who would use an iPad for a phone, how stupid would they look?) but, that's the best guess i have.

18. lulla01 thread starter macrumors 68020

lulla01

Your

Your not seeing the ooint, having basics like weather and stocks in the notification bar or atleast letting developers develop custom notification widgets is what apple should do.