iPad ipad stolen UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tandeh, Dec 25, 2013.

1. tandeh macrumors regular

My ipad was stolen today, and the UK police person on the phone asked for my Apple ID and password, should i have given it to him, i hear that there are dodgy police officers about and started getting paranoid
    :confused:

2. Markyyy macrumors regular

I wouldnt have given it out. I'd immediately ask why he requires the password. The username alone would be okay, but not the password.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Apple ID since it's probably your email address would've been fine. As for the password, no.

4. tandeh thread starter macrumors regular

he said they will track it, but i suspected he wants it for himself, i gave it, shall i change my password

5. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Yes.

----------

They can track it. Do you have a crime report with the number ? Then keep on top of whats happening and it's very unlikely an officer will take your device.

6. tandeh thread starter macrumors regular

thanx yep took crime report

7. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

This is excellent. This is exactly what you want to be hearing from the police. Im assuming they want to check Find my iPhone to see if you have the device tracking enabled.

Im glad to see the police are asking for this as I know some forces/insurance companies are refusing to use this method.

This is the best option you have for retrieving your device, so trust the police.

Good luck! :)

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I would go in and remove any credit card info, at least!

9. matttye macrumors 601

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would've offered to track it myself and just tell him the location before handing over my username and password.

10. tandeh thread starter macrumors regular

how?

11. iFrancis macrumors newbie

You'd think you could trust the police these days but nope, not even them.

I wish you luck on finding it, but just to be safe call them back and ask why they needed it and if you're not happy with the response then change your password, i find it odd that they wanted it.

Some if not all police forces take these crimes very seriously so i hope you have yourself a good police officer!, keep us updated.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Giving the ID and password can result in the police finding the iPad and keeping it. I don't know how corrupt the cops are in your area, but in the U.S. cities....

----------

login to the app store on your computer and remove CC info from your Apple account.

13. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Like the poster said below: login to the app store on your computer and remove CC info from your Apple account."

DO IT NOW!

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You gave them your password? WTF!!! Change it immediately!

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5624

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Obviously he has the ability to track it if he has the relevant information. Why do you think the Police want to track you IPAD and keep it. That is being just a little Paranoid.

Having said that if its a WiFI only Ipad not much chance of tracking it.

16. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

My iPhone 5 was stolen last year. It's common practice that the Police here in the UK will try and track it to see if it was turned on. They came back to me to tell me it hadn't been turned on. I believed them to be genuine. I did change my Apple ID password afterwards.