iPad Stolen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NateSJ408, May 24, 2010.

1. NateSJ408 macrumors newbie

I was at a gas station and I always hide it when outside the car, I guess someone saw me hide it! :mad:

Is there anything I can do to track it? My peronal emails and info are all over the place, is there anything I can do about that?? :(

Thanks

2. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

Do you have the remote wipe feature? (Not sure if that works the same on iPad as on iPhone.) That sucks. I am sorry your iPad got purloined.

3. NateSJ408 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a remote wipe feature that I'm aware of.

4. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

Hopefully you use Mobile Me, if so you can both track and remotely wipe you IPad.

5. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Hopefully you put PIN protection on...

I thought I heard that after 10 unsuccessful PIN entries that it would wipe, but that may just be the iPhone...

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Be sure that you change any passwords to accounts that you access on your iPad. You wouldn't want that scumbag to have access to your email, facebook, bank accounts, etc.

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Erase after 10 incorrect pin attempts is a feature for both the iphone and iPad. You, of course, have to enable this option. I have the pin password enabled on both of mine.

Without mobile me you are out of luck as far as remote wipe goes. Next time, make sure to password all your mobile devices in case something like this happens to you.

Does the gas station have video surveillance camera's. Go and talk to them to see if they can be of any help.

9. patp Guest

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm curious to knew this, too. MobileMe is the only service that can track it.

11. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Are you sure you just didn't hide it too well and just cannot find it yourself?

12. Chris.Thomson macrumors member

It's only easy if the OP has MobileMe, which I'm doubting because (I'm assuming) most people don't use it.

13. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

14. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It is lost forever, along with a lot of your private information.

Let this be a warning to others. Defend your iPad.

15. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

Check out craigslist and ebay, the thief may be dumb enough to list it there. I've seen stolen iPods replaced at the apple store for clean ones, ask the apple store if it was replaced by anybody. They can't give out a name or address, but I'm sure they'll give police it.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

This is a good argument for SquareTrade insurance. I've got it on my iPad.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not really!!!! SquareTrade is a great thing for damage, but their plans do NOT guard against THEFT. For something like that, you would want something like what Safeware.com offers.

18. Tulipone macrumors 6502

Having tried Mobileme and deciding that it was far too expensive for what it is, the remote wipe may be a feature I'd like. How good is it? What happens if you were to think it lost, wipe it and then find it?

19. crut macrumors regular

You plug it into your mac/pc and do a restore from the most recent backup.

20. Gymgenius Suspended

Sorry to hear about your stolen iPad :mad:

Out of interest, does anyone know it alpha-numeric passcodes are available as standard? or if not, does iPad accept emailed templates to allow this option via the iPhone Configuration Utility?

21. greemie macrumors member

22. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Was your car broken into or you neglected to lock it? If its former your car insurance will definitely cover it provided you, if it's latter you're probably SOL. Did you call the police? Theft in excess of $300 is a felony just about anywhere. Given that you were at the gas station there should be survailence cameras.

23. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

My bad. You are right of course. There is another company called Worth Ave Group that provides theft insurance for a low price. I'm going to look into it.

24. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There are two different things going on here, the first being small, and the second is large.

1) The loss of a physical device: Hopefully for most people, this is just an inconvenience. An iPad simply is not worth that much... and probably not worth insuring, even if such insurance is available.

2) The loss of your data which compromises your identity, banking, securities, retirement, etc. If you have any net worth, you should certainly do whatever possible to secure your data. Certainly password protect your device. Enable the "10 attempts forces a wipe" option. Subscribe to Mobile me.

/Jim