iPad stopping you buying a macbook pro? anyone else with that problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aibo82, Apr 19, 2010.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

I've been waiting for this update since last november to the macbook as I have a windows i7 desktop so no rush to buy!

Now with the iPad uk release in the may time slot and the macbook release just happened i'm stuck what to get!!

I keep thinking go with the first idea but then I look at the online videos of the iPad and its looking so cool but non in the uk to have a play I have an iphone! so do I need an ipad? then just do my power stuff on my desktop

Or get a macbook pro because ive had my mind set on one for 9 months and first time user! or wait untill the ipad hits and then think about getting one? but by that time the iphone 4G comes out DAM APPLE!

I know the easy option is all 3! Macbook pro now,iPad then iphone 4g but i'm worried ill get called an apple fanboy and my bank! or is apple stuff that addictive to have like a designer shirt you can buy one for £5 but you like the fruit logo that costs u 1000's?

:)

2. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

I am on my iPad checking the status of my order for my MBP and I plan on buying the new iPhone too... I also broke down in October to buy the iMac... I am ok with being a fanboy... I am logical, rational, and objective about every other aspect in my life. But not about apple products! :D

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If an iPad will meet your needs, then you don't need a laptop. That is, if your needs are purely consumption based, and you don't mind slowly bleeding money for any app you may need, the iPad is a no-brainer.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would love it if an iPad could satisfy all my computing needs, but my iPad only confirms I still need a laptop. I love my iPad, I love my MBPs -- different tools in the box, just like a philips screwdriver and a torx.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

No...the iPad hasn't and wouldn't stop me from buying a MBP if I needed to get some work done. If all you do is surf the web and/or very lightweight email, I suppose you could make do with an iPad. But thats all you'd be doing...making do.

6. ttran88 macrumors regular

macbook pro >>>>>>>>>> ipad EASILY.

was that easy for me to choose or just me?:confused:

7. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

No way. I need a computer and although the iPad vaguely resembles one it is not a full fledged computer. For some users, the difference between the abilities of the iPad and MBP or MB are not that different. It depends on what you need and use a computer for. But for me the iPad and MBP are like night and day.

I will admit that the day the new MBPs came out I went to the Apple store and it was the first time that I had seen the iPad in the flesh and I was quite impressed with it. But for anyone who uses their computer for things other than reading, checking email, surfing the web, listening to music, etc. the iPad is not a substitute for a real computer.

Sorry to bash the iPad but to me the two shouldn't even be compared and as a result I would only have an iPad if either a) someone gave me one (did you hear that Steve!) or b) I could actually afford to own a MBP and an iPad (which, given my status as a professional student isn't going to happen anytime soon).

8. Fran-tastic macrumors member

Fran-tastic

I hear you.

For me was the iPad and the new MBA, but considering I have already a laptop and I want to play some game(Diablo III) plus I'm learning Obj-C I decided to go for an iMac 27"(if I ever get the money, beside the 9k student finance loan coming :D).

And I'm planning for the new iPhone too!

Go for priority. Mine will be the iPad.

PS: I just got called geek by a nerd(friend).

9. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Exact opposite for me: I cancelled my iPad 3G order to get the new and fantastically magical MacBook Pro i7!

It was a VERY good decision! All lust for an iPad evaporated as soon as I pulled the unibody sexiness from its box!

Mark

10. BaronStein macrumors regular

I was asking the same question. For the last 2 weeks, I wasn't touching my PC laptop at all.

I got my new MBP last saturday. And what I can say now, I love them both. They fit pretty well. I mostly use my MBP at home and iPad on the road.

I'm using MBP for audio recording/editing, photography and web design. iPad is more or less like a toy, very fun to use. Browsing, watching netflix while cooking etc... I love them both and most probably they won't get in each other's way.

11. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Exact opposite. I bought the ipad, was so impressed, I bought a new MBP.

:)

They compliment each other quite well.

12. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

If someone offered me a MBP, iPad, and iPHone 4G, but on the condition that I could only get them one at a time, I'd do MBP -> iPhone 4G -> iPad.

I personally don't see all that much use in the iPad. It's nice, yes, and looks like a cool little device, but between my notebook and iPhone, I'm able to stay connected and productive. The news surrounding the alleged iPhone 4G prototype has gotten me interested. Not to get off topic, but I'm beginning to like the more solid looking industrial design, if indeed the photos we have so far are representative of the final product.

Also, Apple has hinted at remaining "flexible" regarding iPad pricing based on consumer demand. So by waiting there's a possibility that you may be able to buy an iPad for less than the launch price. I'll bet a lot of early original iPhone adopters felt a little burned when Apple lowered the prices a few months after the launch date.

13. riotgear macrumors member

I'm another member who bought and iPad and then the new MBP. I use the iPad casually for web surfing and watching Netflix movies. ATM I am using my MBP most of the time.

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Well said!

They are two completely different products for two totally different uses.

Don't buy into the hype (I'm not referring to Apples hype) that iPads and their competitors which are on the way, will replace laptops. It's just not going to happen anytime soon.

The iPad runs on a mobile OS, similar to the iPhone, The MacBooks and Pros run on a computer OS there is a world of difference.

15. Hooksta macrumors member

I just purchased my first MBP (15") (arrives tomorrow)! I have a 3G iPhone and an iPod postage stamp shuffle for my running/biking needs. In intend to upgrade iPhones this summer if there is indeed a new release as being rumored. That will be exactly two years since getting the 3G version.

I like the iPad concept but I am going to wait for the next generation and hope that it has a webcam. I like many of the things iPad can do but its not a MBP replacement by any means.

I'd like the webcam because of how much I use Skype. I think Skyping on an iPad would be pretty cool!

16. squawk7600 macrumors member

lol waz an iPad?....jk...we(Canada) cant get iPad til end of May

17. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Count me in....I also bought a 64GB iPad and bought the 15 i7 hi-res anti-glare mbp. And I'm also buying the iPhone when it comes out in June.

18. stewie1 macrumors member

I tried out the iPad and was so UNIMPRESSED that I bought a used Macbook Air instead. Essentially for slightly more than the cost of a 64gb iPad I get a 128gb SSD MBA that is a real computer and can do everything the iPad can and a bunch of other things as well. No-brainer.

I'll definitely be buying a refreshed iPod Touch this fall, but I just don't understand the appeal of the iPad at all.

19. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

It probably has delayed me getting one by a month or so, I have been waiting for the 3G models to come out anyway.

20. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Gee, I would have never guessed...

21. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

The iPad has never had any influence over me wanting to get a MBP.

Till I get to actually use one I just see them as a giant iPod Touch with a few extra productivity apps like iWork and a nicer IPS display.

The way I look at it is:

At home would rather use my MBP.

Bus journeys to work: The iPad would seem a bit too big and a come and get me advert to muggers, wouldn't feel safe using one and my 3GS is good enough for web browsing in that scenario.

Train journeys: Used my previous 15" MBP on the train before with no issues.

At work: Have to use work computers as we can't bring our own laptops in, and the iPad doesn't have enough features to do everything I need that would be quicker than doing it on a work PC (Word and PowerPoint creation with the odd photo editing).

Can see it being a very good coffee table device for families, and also if you work where you need to use basic computer functionalities while moving etc. I may even change my mind when I get to have a play on one who knows, but really can't see it replacing my need for a laptop, least certainly not with the 1st gen models.