iPad Storage Confusion

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by *~Kim~*, Sep 29, 2013.

1. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I'm still running iOS6 on my iPad 3 and it's saying that it has downloaded (but obviously not installed) iOS7. Since then, I seem to have lost at least 3Gb of my storage. I didn't prompt it to download iOS7. Can anyone shed any light? This is a screen shot and it doesn't seem to add up. Where is the rest of my storage?

I'm wanting to move 1.5Gb of videos (downloaded from iTunes) from my iPhone to my iPad when this is sorted. Does anyone know how I would go about this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The 3gb of space is likely the iOS 7 and the space needed to expand it to install.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove that from your iPad. If you have a current backup you could erase the iPad and restore it from said backup and with luck the installer will be trashed.

As for the video question. Easiest way is to simply re download them. Slightly harder but less taxing in the wifi is to transfer them to your computer and sync them to iPad.

3. *~Kim~* thread starter macrumors 6502

If I update the iPad, will this free up any space? Unfortunately I don't have a full backup of it.

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes. The new iOS will take over the space of the old iOS and the installer etc will be trashed so you'd get possibly all of the 3 GB back

But I don't recommend doing it without a backup as errors can happen and they might eat your data. Also if you haven't been keeping up with the talk about iOS 7 I suggest you go take a look at the use guide etc as it looks very very different and downgrading is highly difficult if not impossible at this time. Especially without proper prep work (the guys over in the jailbreaking forum could tell you what to so before you upgrade so it would be possible)