iPad Streaming iTunes Database Content

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xfiring, Jan 28, 2010.

1. xfiring macrumors member

This may be a silly question but I am assuming that the iPad will be added like a device to iTunes (similar to AppleTV) and be able to stream all of the movies/music/tv shows that are on your iTunes library wirelessly.

Is this just a given or do you think you have to sync whatever movies/music/tv shows are on your iTunes library.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think it's a given. One will also probably be able to stream to it from any other device. Like the iPhone or the iPod Touch.

WiFi is there for a reason and it's not just to buy stuff.

3. agoldsta2 macrumors newbie

Streaming out

it would be nice if the ipad,touch or iphone could stream music to the apple extreme hooked up to my stereo. The iphone/ipad should be able to connect to and from the extreme. This would also be useful in order to print from either device to an extreme connected to a printer. the ipad needs a printer app big-time.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I stream from my iMac to my Express and Apple TV, choosing which speakers to use etc, through the remote App, but this give me access to my full library not just what is on my iPhone. Why would I want to stream from my iPhone to my speakers with limited library and battery drain?

As far as the iPad being an Airtunes device, etc. Maybe that would be useful. Or simply access to a shared library like between 2 Macs in the source column in the iPad iTunes/iPod app. However if you want to stream to your iPhone and or iPad from your computer, get Airfoil desktop app and the accompanying AirTouch Speakers app for iPhone and you can play your computer library through your iPhone with a headset on. The great thing with that too is that Airfoil is AirTunes for any app, not just iTunes so you can listen to streaming internet radio or sports broadcasts or whatever the audio source is. You can also go the route of Simplify media on your iPhone or iPad that allows you to stream any music to your device even away from home given that your computer is on. Works with WiFi, 3G or EDGE. For home though another option is to get a set of stereo BT headphones and connect to your computer.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The touch can't do this despite it being technically possible, so I wouldn't call it a given. I do agree that Apple needs to get a Front Row like app onto the iPad quick now and in a hurry, though!

6. icechunk macrumors newbie

I'd like.....

Since Apple TV needs iTunes to stream content to it.
    I'd like to stream content from my AirDisk to my Apple TV using the IPad. Would that be possible?

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

If I get what you are asking, yes. Your AirDisk is connected to your Airport router? You would need to have your Mac running with iTunes on. Then you can use the Remote app just like on the iPhone to control the Apple TV.

8. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

It had better be able to stream to Airport Express or that will be the most monumentally stupid oversight.

9. icechunk macrumors newbie

mmm....that's kind of a let down. If I had a mac running with a shared Itunes library, why would I need to control it through the IPad? Apple TV can see the library anyway.

I would just like the ability to store my media on an external drive. Perhaps the ITunes app on the IPad has this capability, like the full blown version does now (store the ITunes folder on a mounted drive).

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Really. If you have an airport express you are most likely at home and using that airport express as your airtunes from iTunes on your computer. Why would you need to stream direct to the airport express from the iPad rather than the Mac or PC with the iTunes library on that network?

11. frankowen macrumors newbie

I'll tell you why: Say your friend comes over with HIS iPad, and you want to listen to some of HIS music over your airport express. It would be nice if there was a "speakers" dropdown, just like in iTunes on your PC or Mac.

12. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Why should I have to leave my only computer, a MacBook Pro, running to be able to play music? Music that's already synced to an iPad? I want direct AirTunes streaming.

Happily, so does Steve Jobs.

When searching around for this question, I stumbled upon this German (?) web page that seems to claim to have gotten the answer... right from Steve Jobs' email reply:

And so we wait!

13. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Fofer - man I hope that quote is reliable and true!!