Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Hi

I installed iOS 5 Beta 1 on my iPad, then updated to Beta 2 with no problems. Today I decided to Update (Restore) to Beta 3. I let iTunes do it's thing (also Beta 3), and after it had finished installing it said that there was an unknown error and the iPad had not been restored. It then came up in iTunes in DFU Mode, and I tried again - No Luck. (My iPhone Updated Fine)

I then went and pressed Restore normally, and let iTunes download 4.3.3 and when it had finished it said it could not restore my iPad due to another unknown error. I also tried with another Mac, with iTunes 10.3.1, and it did the same thing.

My question is, really, is there any way I can fix it? It's a first gen iPad that was bought on UK Launch day (May 28th I think?), so it is out of warranty - but it is a Software fault, Apple's not mine.

Should I contact Apple? and if so should I go to a Genius Bar or Phone them? Does anybody know if it is likely I will get a replacement?

Sorry for the long post, but I really need help!

Thanks in advance!

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
I had something similar with beta 1. Turned out iTunes needed reinstalled, so I did that.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. iTunes now says that my iPad is not eligible for the requested build.:confused:

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Hm, try quitting iTunes with your iPad plugged in, hold power+home until the Apple logo shows up, then let go of both buttons. Let me know.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Hm, try quitting iTunes with your iPad plugged in, hold power+home until the Apple logo shows up, then let go of both buttons. Let me know.

Nope, still nothing. I just get the your iPad is not compatible with this software, even though it is the correct version. I am trying using iOS5 beta 3, can I restore to beta 2 on iTunes 10.5 b3? or should I try 4.3.3 again?

Thanks for your help!

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Fixed It!

It's okay now. Installed iTunes 10.5 Beta 2 on my iMac and Restored to iOS 5.0 Beta 2, and it worked fine! Must of just downloaded a dodgy copy of Beta 3 - anybody know where I can download the official one for 1st Gen iPad?

Thanks for all your help!

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
Sorry for being flippant but the only legit way to get a good copy of the beta is to join the developers program and download it from there.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Sorry for being flippant but the only legit way to get a good copy of the beta is to join the developers program and download it from there.

I know :), I would if I would use it! Tried to make an application before, but that is WAY beyond my skills!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.