Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
one of my wife's work's department iPads is stuck in 'iPad is disabled'. its an iPad air.

it never asks for a passcode just says its disabled.

restarting it into recovery mode offers the chance to either update or restore. to do either means iTunes will download software and install it, the iPad will restart and say iPad is disabled. iTunes says 'iTunes could not connect to the iPad 'iPad' because it is locked with a passcode. you must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes. (more info) (cancel) (try again).

but he iPad doesn't offer this chance, it just sits there saying 'iPad is disabled'-

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Where did the iPad come from? Is it the original owner who bought it from Apple?

it came from apple as a bulk purchase by her company, but its been used by 2 or 3 different members of staff with their own iTunes logins

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
it came from apple as a bulk purchase by her company, but its been used by 2 or 3 different members of staff with their own iTunes logins
It's a brick unless the former staff user can be found and restored with correct password.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
It's a brick unless the former staff user can be found and restored with correct password.
But that's the thing. I can't even get to ask me for a password. Although iTunes after a restore tells me to put the password in to unlock it the iPad just sits there with the disabled screen

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im just curious, but doesnt icloud give the option to lock an iOS device via find my iphone? Maybe the last person logged in and disabled it from there? But that wouldnt even be the case if the device was wiped and put in with your wife's account. Did your wife manage to put in her itunes information before it was disabled?

Likely you will just need to take it back to the company and let IT take care of it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
one of my wife's work's department iPads is stuck in 'iPad is disabled'. its an iPad air.

it never asks for a passcode just says its disabled.

restarting it into recovery mode offers the chance to either update or restore. to do either means iTunes will download software and install it, the iPad will restart and say iPad is disabled. iTunes says 'iTunes could not connect to the iPad 'iPad' because it is locked with a passcode. you must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes. (more info) (cancel) (try again).

but he iPad doesn't offer this chance, it just sits there saying 'iPad is disabled'-

Couple of options:
  1. Download Apple Configurator 2
  2. Start it up and plug in iPad: AC2 will display device name when device connects. This may assist in determining who the last owner was.
If you cannot determine who the last owner was, use AC2 to 'Restore' iPad. It will no longer be disabled. If it was previously iCloud locked will be stuck at the Activation Screen.

If purchased through a company, it should have been setup on an MDM to bypass Activation Lock, otherwise contact Apple with proof of purchase in hand.

Good luck

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Seriously? If it's a work iPad, why are you posting here instead of having her take it to her IT department? Unless, it's stolen, in which case I understand. But no one should help you if that's the case.

because that IT department is aware of it, but is 1000 km away in a different country, and they have made suggestions which haven't worked, so i thought someone here might have an idea. if thats okay with you.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
iTunes logins do not do anything... it is the iCloud login with 'Find my Phone' activated that can cause trouble. ( you can log into iTunes without logging into iCloud ).

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
because that IT department is aware of it, but is 1000 km away in a different country, and they have made suggestions which haven't worked, so i thought someone here might have an idea. if thats okay with you.

Okay then, they don't have mobile device management (MDM)? What you describe sounded like they do and they remotely disabled the device. Either manually or through an automated process. If they don't manage the devices in this manner, it can be done through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. If neither, I'd do some kind of next day FedEx exchange. Not getting a login to iCloud is perplexing. 960Design offered the best advice otherwise.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Okay then, they don't have mobile device management (MDM)? What you describe sounded like they do and they remotely disabled the device. Either manually or through an automated process. If they don't manage the devices in this manner, it can be done through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. If neither, I'd do some kind of next day FedEx exchange. Not getting a login to iCloud is perplexing. 960Design offered the best advice otherwise.

see thats the thing, they do have some form of device management, as when you start up a fresh one, it automatically installs all their apps, but when they've sent pictures of whats happening with the device, all they got back was a link to an apple support forum talking through how to restore it, but when i do that i can't because of iTunes asking for the passcode and the iPad not asking for it.

thanks for your advice, not sure their IT department really know what they are doing.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Passcode? Could it be the restrictions passcode? Your IT can remove the passcode via their MDM as long as you iPad has not gotten so angry that it has timed out the WiFi.

Check upper left corner for WiFi arcs. If not visible then the MDM cannot currently communicate with the iPad. The only option is a DFU restore or restore through AC2 to get back to a WiFi choice before the iPad activate locks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.