iPad stylus with all (scratchy!) metal recessed?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by nagromme, Mar 18, 2011.

1. nagromme, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Styluses seem to require metal contacting your fingers. But when a friend carelessly sets the pen on my iPad (or draws at a weird angle), there’s a risk of scratching the glass. Or if they carelessly toy with it while talking and touch the screen with the wrong end.

Google Images hasn’t helped me... is there a touch stylus that keeps all metal recessed so it can’t touch the glass? In other words, the metal collar you hold would be surrounded by wider rings of plastic or something. With no metal on the far end either—and no metal clip! (Or a removable one.)

The H10 Kuel looks so close but not quite! The metal rings at both ends of the body would need to be recessed or plastic. And the ring right by the tip would need to be plastic and not metal. (Your fingers would still contact the rest of the metal collar, which is safely recessed.) Also the far-end extension’s tip would need to be plastic, because I just know someone will hit the screen with the wrong end.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! Maybe I just need to mod my own pen. I hope I don’t have to buy a sausage...

2. Good.Shepherd macrumors member

Get a bicycle tube. Cut a small piece yourself. Glue it on yourself.

30 minutes total and you'll have full piece of mind.

Don't wait for something to hit the market. Do it yourself. It's easy.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Surgical tubing is a thought as well. I don’t what is conductive enough.

Although if a scratchless stylus already exists, even better!

(Couldn’t they use the same rubber as the tip, and cover the whole pen? If it conducts to the screen, it should conduct to your skin too. Like the sausages.)

4. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme