Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Hi all,

I've purchased an iPad for my dad and I figured it made sense to simply download my apps onto it for him as there are some like VLC that he would love to use. How would I go about doing this without overwriting the current data? If I sync it to his iTunes library first and then download the apps on the iPad (in my account) can I sync the apps back onto his computer?

Thanks

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Yes, you can do that. For that matter, you could do it all from iTunes on his computer as long as you don't close out of the iTunes library (don't quit iTunes session). It's a little confusing, just remember that iTunes libraries are local and you can only have one of those per iPad. iTunes store accounts are stored in the cloud and you can have more than one of those on any given iPad.

The only hassle, is that anytime the apps loaded from your account are updated, he will need your iTunes account info.

Edit to add details...in iTunes on the computer or on the iPad, you just need to sign out of his store account and into yours to access your previously purchased app list, download the desired apps and re-sync the iPad.

Last edited:

sampath

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
To add to the above, there might be an added complication in the case of VLC, because it's not downloadable from the App Store any more. You may have to copy it to your dad's machine and add it to his iTunes library manually (which IIRC can be done by dragging-and-dropping the .ipa file into iTunes) before syncing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.