Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
just formatted my mac's harddrive...i want to sync new movies to my ipad...i get a warning from itunes saying if i sync now..i will replace the current itunes movies with my ipad movies

how do i not replace the movies...i only want to add the new movies to the exisiting ones on my ipad...thanks

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Do you have a backup of your old hard drive?

Basically iTunes thinks that the iPad has never been connected to the computer before since it doesn't have records of sync or backups. Therefore if you want to associate the iPad with the freshly installed OS, you need certain files from the old machine otherwise you have to wipe the iPad and start fresh or restore from iCloud. Do you have a time machine backup?

I've been dealing with this same thing with my mother who bought her first new Mac in 7 years. We did a clean install/start from scratch setup bc migration assistant has always had problems transferring apps/data from a PPC Mac to a Intel one. It seems that iTunes backups are done differently too.

The geniuses at the apple store didn't know the answer. I'm working on it, maybe I can help if you give more info, about any backups.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
The single most annoying thing about Apple. I love everything of Apple, except the fact that, if I reformat..I'm doomed.

I would also like to know if there's ways around this, rather than having to deal with reinstalling everything.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The single most annoying thing about Apple. I love everything of Apple, except the fact that, if I reformat..I'm doomed.

I would also like to know if there's ways around this, rather than having to deal with reinstalling everything.

There is a way round it-it's called backing up. ;)

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
There is a way round it-it's called backing up. ;)

This... Amazing how many people blame others because they never backed up their data.

OP, the iPod, and iTunes think they have never spoken to each other, mainly because you deleted absolutely everything when you did a restore. The message is a precaution if you plug it into a new computer.

If you want to retrieve anything from your device, use either iCloud, or detune.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
well it won't help you now but i always backup my itunes data to an external hd and i usually back up the ipad to the cloud

will it let you do a backup now or is it asking to delete everything and set it up as new? sorry for asking been awhile since i've had to do this

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I never use "Sync" for media. It's much easier to use the "manually manage" setting on the iPad's iTunes screen and then you can just drag & drop media content.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
just formatted my mac's harddrive...i want to sync new movies to my ipad...i get a warning from itunes saying if i sync now..i will replace the current itunes movies with my ipad movies

how do i not replace the movies...i only want to add the new movies to the exisiting ones on my ipad...thanks

Authorize the computer then do a manual sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.