iPad taking way to long to Backup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iTellApple, Nov 23, 2010.

1. iTellApple, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

iTellApple macrumors newbie

My iPad has been backing up for about 12 hours now, I've backed it up before, so I don't understand why it's taking so long!
    Please, please help!
    Thanks in advance!
    -Hunter

2. stix macrumors member

I hate to tell you, but that's "normal". Mine can take all night too sometimes. If you're only syncing you can cancel the backup. For updating, it needs to do a backup first (as far as I can tell).

3. iTellApple thread starter macrumors newbie

It is?

Are you sure? I've backed up before, and it's taken only about an hour. This isn't my first backup.

4. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

I guess I should stop complaining when mine takes like 15 minutes. I thought that was way too long.

5. stix macrumors member

Lucky you :) I don't know what the cause is... I have a lot of photos and mail on there, so maybe that's the problem. It's a pain in the a$$ though.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I do not think that 12 hours is normal. Mine takes maybe 15 minutes, total!

7. Rootus macrumors 6502

That's just what I was thinking. Before I upgraded to 4.2.1, I was really irritated because the damn iPad was taking 15 minutes to back up. I saw this thread and thought "Yeah, apparently I'm not the only one that thinks 15 minutes to back up an iPad is retardiculous" and then saw the 12 hour part... DOH

8. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Yup yup. 12+ hours for me as well.
    It's a beautiful world.

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

there are known issues with certain apps and backing up such as wired magazine. if you wanna know which app is causing the problem goto the folder where the backups are stored, arrange by date and open the most recent file with a text editor, it should show you which app is causing the problem.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

How often do you back up and do you purchase apps via Mobile App Store or via iTunes on you syncing computer?

11. BrennerM macrumors regular

I've had 1-2 hour backups for quite a while now. I was led to believe that it is mostly app content like magazines (I have Zinio) that was causing it. Some apps have tons of small files and the backup procedure presumably has to comb through all of the files looking for ones that have been added/changed/deleted since the last backup.

I've also heard that backups are much faster with iOS 4 but I haven't had it long enough to add app content and test it. Hopefully that proves correct.

12. viperGTS macrumors 65816

13. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Are you on 4.2?

I used to have this crap all the time, but since updating, it hasn't been a problem.

I'll be dismayed if people are still getting this.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Have People Magazine installed?

They just posted an update yesterday but I haven't tried it to see if it is any better.

15. iTellApple thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer some of you guys' questions:
    I'm not on 4.2 I was updating and it started backing up.
    I have only backed up about three times, and have gotten all of my apps from the mobile App Store.
    I don't have People or Wired mags installed.
    Here's what I did. I canceled the backup, and then re-connected. I transfered my purchases, downloaded the update and then it started backing up again. So now, it has that moving slanted bar and says 'Backing up iPad' it's been doing this for about 30 minutes.

16. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

So you haven't updated yet?

Do it! Sod the backup. Cancel it. Backup afterwards. You will be happier that way.

17. iTellApple thread starter macrumors newbie

So, if I cancel the backup it won't delete everything and take from the previous one? If not, then thank you. Let me try and cancel it.
    Edit: Okay, it is canceling the backup now, there's a little bar. Just waiting on it.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I had this issue with my iPad before I restored. I guessed that it was due to the drivers not loading to my computer properly on the previous restore. I updated to 4.2.1, making sure I got the 'Drivers have loaded successfully' notification(Windows 7), and now a typical sync takes only 3-5 minutes.

19. iTellApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so like he said, I'm canceling the backup, it's taking longer than I expected, but It's canceling. I have a question though, if I swipe to cancel Sync on my iPad will that make the entire update cancel?

20. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I suspected an app or two causing the issue. However, after losing everything trying to upgrade to 4.2.1, I had to re-install all apps with their contents again. While I was super pissed off by losing my setup, now my backup takes less than 5 mins with the same apps as before. It makes no sense, but I'm not complaining as the very reason why I lost everything was because I wan't backing up due to 12 hour back up process. Now, I'm backing up every time I synch. Hopefully, the time won't add up too badly in the future.

21. iTellApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Okay, so I closed iTunes and tried again, but this time when I canceled, it stopped the update? Help!

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

My advice(assuming a rogue 3rd party app isn't the issue), is to backup overnight, then restore from the backup as soon as possible.
    If the problem persists, then restoring from new might be the only option.

23. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Mine was taking forever to backup, I finally had to restore the ipad, it then restore and updated at the same time, I then had to put all my apps and content back. Giganitc pain in the arse.

24. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

i had the exact same problem and did a little research. I deleted my itunes account and reinstalled it. After I connecte my ipad i was done in about 15 minutes. I dont know why this happens but it did work for me...

25. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Thats why never buy apps from the ipad, if you buy them from Itunes then sync them to the ipad you never have to worry about losing them.