Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iPad now in the hands on developers and consumers. we finally get a peek into the internal hardware and performance of the device.

Early benchmarks from the device show that the iPad is about twice as fast as the iPhone 3GS when running native applications. The speed up appears to be entirely focused within Apple's A4 processor, as it appears the iPad shares the same PowerVR SGX 535 GPU and same 256MB RAM found in the iPhone 3GS. Early hardware teardown reports had claimed 512MB of RAM but these have later been corrected. 256MB of RAM also corresponds to the available RAM the system reports to apps.

According to IO Registry Tree dumps, it's also apparent that the Apple's A4 processor is based on a single core Cortex A8 design rather than the new Cortex A9. In fact, running at 1GHz, the A4 sounds similar to the Samsung Hummingbird ARM processor. Readers may remember that Intrinsity is the company behind that processor. Intrinsity is believed to have been recently acquired by Apple.

Article Link: iPad Tech Specs: Cortex A8, 256MB Ram, PowerVR SGX 535

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
256 Megs?
*Waits for Rev 2*
That's just puny. If this is supposed to replace a netbook, I'm not sure what they're trying to do. My MSI Wind can hold 2GB of ram.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Isn't 256mb kind of small for todays computers?

I don't see how these graphic intensive games can even run on that.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
Wow nice no wonder the iPad is so quick and responsive. I wish it had 512MB though of RAM. That will be in the next rev.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Specs are irrelevant. It's how it performs that matters, and from the reviews so far it performs really well.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Battery & Weight

I believe Apple knows that the #1 competitive concern is not being a little faster (though speed is important), it is weight to battery-life. Competitors will have to blow the iPad away if they are at all heavier or have a shorter battery life. A faster, larger capacity, 4 hour, heavier device won't be able to compete. (Saying nothing of the UI.)

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
256 Megs?
*Waits for Rev 2*
That's just puny. If this is supposed to replace a netbook, I'm not sure what they're trying to do. My MSI Wind can hold 2GB of ram.

It's not a replacement for a netbook to to speak but a go between. But considering the apps need far less to run, that says something about the programming side... pretty nice

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Somehow i was expecting more... From the demos it seems to run at a fair pace anyway though so i guess that's all that counts.

Seems even more reason to stick the same setup in the next iPhone!! ;)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Why not at least 1GB? then you have room to make amazing future software. Oh wait... they want me to spend $699 now,and $699 next year. i'm guessing this is going to be like the iPod touch and iPhone. The next major release of software will slow it down, so we have to buy a new pad each year. They use small ****** specs. Really only 16GB storage? Give us more Apple. For $499, lower your profit margins. Now I kinda want a MBP with NEW Intel CPU, and NEW graphics. Apple seems to get away with slower, outdated, cheaper hardware than their competitors, and charge a premium for it. Thats what I HATE about Apple.

The old family Dell dimension 4550 we purchased in 2003 had 256MB of RAM. We maxed it out to 1GB later on.

dxdragonious

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
Specs mean nothing for this machine since it's blazing fast!

Honestly not sure what Apple did but this one of the fastest machine I have used. Everything loads really fast and performs great.

To me the specs mean nothing since this OS is blazing fast.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I believe Apple knows that the #1 competitive concern is not being a little faster (though speed is important), it is weight to battery-life. Competitors will have to blow the iPad away if they are at all heavier or have a shorter battery life. A faster, larger capacity, 4 hour, heavier device won't be able to compete. (Saying nothing of the UI.)

no offence but.. another 256mb of ram wouldnt effect the battery or the weight of this device.

Would have been a hell of allot useful to developers... but what the hell I guess they cut back on it to boast about it being doubled in the next rev

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
It's not a replacement for a netbook to to speak but a go between. But considering the apps need far less to run, that says something about the programming side... pretty nice

The guy at the Apple store said it is. he also said it was way better than ANY netbook. I just wish I could sync my iPhone with my "netbook killer". Steve also said its way better than a netbook, so according to Apple it IS a replacement for a netbook.

Meduolis

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
A bit castrated first generation Apple device. It's awesome, but I will wait for next generation, because I need iSight and maybe more raw power. For most people it's more than enought as it is.

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
Can someone verify this?

iFixit has a link to "decoding" the stamp "K4X2G643GE". However, the part number decoder provided doesn't track exactly to the stamp on the chip. The number "64" on the stamp is not listed on the decoder page under "organization" at all. Therefore, I don't think they have the right part number decoder.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Honestly not sure what Apple did but this one of the fastest machine I have used. Everything loads really fast and performs great.

To me the specs mean nothing since this OS is blazing fast.

Wait for the next iphone OS, it won't be so blazing fast anymore. The iPhone and iPhone 3G used to be blazing fast when on 1.1.4 and 2.2.1. they aren't anymore. The iPad will be just like the Original iphone in 3 years. The Original iPhone was so slow when I upgraded to 3.0. It wasn't even fun to use it anymore. iPod took 8 seconds to open. I got a replacement iPhone, same thing. Even when set up as a new iPhone. Sure Apple could optimize 3.0 to run on it smoothly, but they want you to get the 3GS. Apple will do the same with the iPad. Just wait and see.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
With NetBooks you can Consume and create media. The create part of it is less of course than a real laptop, but you can create nonetheless. With the iPad you can only consume. There is no filesystem, you cannot browse your files.
It's a nice device, don't get me wrong, but it's flawed.

briankwest77

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
The guy at the Apple store said it is. he also said it was way better than ANY netbook. I just wish I could sync my iPhone with my "netbook killer". Steve also said its way better than a netbook, so according to Apple it IS a replacement for a netbook.

You can. Its called MobileMe. Duh!

/b

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
256 Megs?
*Waits for Rev 2*

And your netbook isn't running an OS actually designed and optimized for tablet use, either.

That's why it really needs more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.