iPad Tethering and Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by sammyman, Apr 30, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I have been on the fence on 3G vs wifi. What it comes down to is the how the battery holds up when tethering a wifi iPad with an iphone 3GS. Does anyone know how fast the battery gets drained when you tether?

2. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

If you're referring to the battery life on the iPhone, mine drains 10% every 30 minutes. (3GS)

The WiFi + tethered iPad should have longer battery life than iPad 3G.

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

You're going to run out of battery on the iPhone LONG before the iPad....

People are saying about 1.5 hours constant use for iPhone battery life when tethering through it... The iPad still goes strong though.

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

Think about it. On iPhone 3GS or 3G, both WiFi and 3G has to be on and working overload at same time. That'll consume the battery so fast, (it's anywhere from 10-20% per 30 min) it's not going to be the same comparsion to the 3G unit that only needs the 3G antenna on and WiFi off. It'll last the full 6-8 hours and don't think your iPhone will hold on for any longer than 2-3 hours either. The battery in iPad is twice or more the battery capacity of iPhone as well. You use the iPhone as a backup/failover, not as a primary method of accessing the Internet for iPad WiFi. As T406 mentioned below, you can get several power storage units to extend the battery of your iPhone 3G. Then again, now you have to consider the extra inconvenience of carrying extra devices, power units, and the weight will be heavier.

5. T4R06 macrumors 65816

get the IMP500. it will match your iPad battery life promise :)

6. Doju macrumors 68000

What? That's completely backwards. Tethering from a small phone with a small battery will last much shorter than a full out iPad drawing it right from the source. The iPhone will be using BOTH the 3G AND WiFi antenna, two of the most battery requiring things at once. I'm lucky to get 2 hours of battery life with MyWi on my 3GS. iPad says 9 hours on 3G.

Even by your measurement (which I think is incredibly incorrect) it would only last 5 hours, just over half of what the iPad is capable of.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Just ordered the imp550 :) Problem Solved!

8. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

He is simply talking about the iPad without taking into account the iPhone. Saying that the iPad gets more battery over the tethered wiFi network rather than using iPad 3g.

9. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

Correct.

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

11. snobny macrumors member

Ok so whats the best way to tether Ipad and 3GS phone--Im on AT&T

12. wilycoder macrumors 6502

stop saying that. you are implying that people are not thinking.

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

And you know the battery life on an iPad 3G how?

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

If you can jb the 3GS, use MyWi and and external battery like a Mophi. If you can't jb, you're SOL.

15. snobny macrumors member

Yes my 3GS's are JB! So this is not a free app correct? $9.99 is what I see

16. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Well worth it. Especially when you consider that you will triple that with one month on the 3G iPad. I have been using this settup since I got my iPad a week after launch.

17. snobny macrumors member

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I have used MyWi with my 3G plugged into my laptop at work (for power to the iPhone, no wireless at work), my netbook connects to the iPhone and I have downloaded and installed service packs on my netbook. Worked great.

19. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

Keep your iphone well vented as the iPhone will heat up a lot if covered in a pocket when using MyWi

20. snobny macrumors member

Wow this works great!! Nice to know I can use this when there is no WI-FI hotspot around

21. snobny macrumors member

Now--can you use this to text bluetooth to bluetooth to another phone?

22. Love Juice macrumors regular

pm me on what source(s) to add so you dont have to pay that fee ;)

**edit**
    nm, read that you paid for it. too bad lol.

23. snobny macrumors member

24. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

This is one of two "mysteries that aren't" on this board ... the battery life of a 3g iPad.

It's been posted on Apple's site in plain English for a while now (two weeks?).

The other "mystery that isn't" is why Apple requires you to use a credit or debit card with your name on it to buy an iPad.

For the record, if you go by Apple's published data - if you use another device for tethering, your iPad is using wifi, so the iPad itself will last approx. 10 hours of Web browsing. However, it's unlikely that whatever you are tethering will last nearly that long. The effective battery life will be gated by whatever device lasts the least long.

25. MikhailT macrumors 601

Huh, you're seriously telling me you are having a problem with me telling a person to think about a specific issue that relates to their question which could help them to come up with an answer on their own?

It's a common expression that people use every day in life and it does not intend to insult anybody in general other than asking them to think about a certain thing.

I was not implying anything, what i implied was exactly what i said. I wanted the OP to think. I never said he wasn't thinking in general.