iPad tethering, my experiment results

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robandiz, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Robandiz macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

First post here, I thought that I would provide a little information on my experiments tethering an iPad 2 and an AT&T iPhone 4 via both wifi and Bluetooth. I tested throughput on the website mobilespeedtest.com using their 1mb test. I tested four times dropped the low score and averaged the remaining three scores. For wifi I scored 1128 Kbps. Bluetooth came in at a surprising 1444 Kbps. I was expecting Bluetooth to be much slower and was surprised that it came in faster than wifi. An advantage that wifi has is that it passes GPS data to my iPad (which has no 3G or GPS onboard). The update is slow at once per minute or so but it beats nothing. Bluetooth does not pass GPS data. Also, for convenience Bluetooth is great as it can connect to your personal hotspot without having to pull out your iPhone. With wifi your iPhone will stop transmitting it's SSID after 90 seconds which will require you to open settings to "wake up" your hotspot. It will also stop transmitting the SSID 90 seconds after the last wifi device disconnects. As a last note iOS Bluetooth or wifi hotspots show up with a "linked chain" icon rather than the traditional wifi curved bars.

I know that this information is out there all ready but it took me a lot of searching to get answers to my questions about personal hotspot use. Hopefully someone will find this helpful!

Rob

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks for posting your results. I'm always down to read more on tethering as I still haven't taken the plunge.