iPad text messaging??

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by bella92108, Sep 15, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

When I use foreign data sims in my iPad I often use prepaid carriers that require me to text a code to them to enable promos like unlimited Internet for 24 hours or a week, etc... I'm trying to find a SMS app for my iPad that sends texts from my number. My sim has a phone number and text plan that runs fine when in a phone I just would like to be able ti send and receive from my iPad.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

3. BaronStein macrumors regular

I don't think there is an app for that, I've checked cydia before. Not sure about the other ways...

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I learned of an App called "SwirlyMessage" which apparently does exactly what I want, but it costs $12... so now I'm looking for something "similar" for little or no cost, hehe.

Sorry, a Starbucks Latte is worth $4 to me... an app that allows me to text from my iPad, isn't. LOL... :)

5. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

You can send text messages, and you do not need to Jailbreak your iPad to do so - see this from the 2 Degrees website - but the catch is that you cannot receive replies.

6. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

How so? There's nothing within the SIM menu allowing SIM texting.

7. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Interesting - I have it on my iPad (not JB). I guess it is up to the carrier to allow this service on the SIM.

EDIT: I also have the options to call customer services and check my voicemail, but they are without function (i.e. pressing the option does nothing).

[​IMG]

8. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah mine does the same :-(

9. o.neill.kid macrumors member

I am not exactly sure since I don't have to do that but a good texting application is TextNow.

Hope that helps, if not sorry.

10. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tip but like I said I need an app that'll send a text from my sim card as I'm using a regular sim with data and text plan on it.

11. mixvio macrumors 6502

SwirlyMessage is expensive, but it's worth it.

The only problem I had was here in Australia on Vodafone my iPad plan had no SMSes available on it, and when I called support to ask about attaching a SMS plan to my iPad's number they talked to me like I was speaking French.

I just gave up and went to a different carrier (Telstra) and bought a pre-paid SIM card for a phone. After cutting the SIM card itself and sticking it into my iPad, I can send/receive SMSes fine. No issues at all.

12. RobBookPro macrumors regular

I did the same in reverse. Telstra ipad sim does not support sms so I cut down the vodafone sim card which was in my wifes iphone before being smashed and replaced by an iphone4.

SMS makes the ipad complete. I hate receiving phone calls so I love having a device which gives me data and text without annoying phone calls.

Swirly message rules.

13. iRyu macrumors regular

can we get this app for free?
    like crack version? :/

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

Download the Google Voice application from the App Store and enjoy free texts.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I thought it was being limited to the iphone only for now... I could be wrong.

16. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag