Ipad Text Messaging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rickp1, May 20, 2012.

1. rickp1 macrumors member

Hey guys and gals, new here. I just got my ipad 2 and I have a question. I learned that the messaging app in the ipad is pretty useless since you cant use it like a traditional messaging system.

So my question is what's a good app for typical texting on the ipad?
    If there's a way to sync it with my iphone or link it to the same number even better, but i think that's pushing it to be honest.

thanks

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502

The messaging app is only as good as the user.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could use Whatsapp which would be registered with your phones number.

4. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

[/COLOR]
    thank you. something useful i can use.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

The messaging app is great if your friends and family have iPhones or iPads.

6. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, but the problem is not many do, even as popular as those systems are. It's still very limiting. As such it's the reason I'm looking for a viable solution where I can still text from the ipad without getting a new number.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with all the apps out there, so I'm reaching out to people that hopefully are.

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

Whatsapp only works on iPhones, as it requires a phone. It doesn't work on iPads or iPods.

----------

If you can use it, the built-in messaging app is really the best. It's only limiting if your friends don't have Apple iPhones, iPads, or iPods.

If you can't use it, there are a number of apps that allow iPads to send/receive text messages. Just search for "text messaging" using the iPad's "App Store" app (do it via the app, and not a web browser on the iPad or another computer). They all have pros and cons. One popular example is, "Textfree for iPad".

8. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Google voice my friend. Do some searching on that. :rolleyes:

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP has stated he doesn't want to get a new number

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

Google voice is great, but the text messaging doesn't work everywhere. For example, paypal can't/won't send text messages to GV numbers. (Yes, I'm stupid for using paypal, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't receive paypal txts at my GV number.)

----------

True but, unless he wants to lose the phone service (via number porting), he probably has to get a new number.

That's why iMessage and GV are great -- you can get notified on multiple devices, and also reply from multiple devices.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not true! It works fine and there are plenty of guides on how to do so!

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I use Textfree and it works pretty well for the most part. The one thing I don't like about it is, if you don't send a text for awhile, you lose your number assigned to you. If you are a heavy text messages, this might not be a problem.

13. Vizin, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. TLewis macrumors 65816

Even if that works, the OP wants a way of receiving regular txt messages on his iPad. How is whatsapp going to help with that???

15. DrNoellyG macrumors member

I was using whatsapp for a while there, and I know it is not what you are looking for, but this was the closest I could get without getting a new number. Whatever you find,please post it here for those of us in search of a solution.

16. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I also use text free and like it a lot. I've never had a problem with it, but the OP would need a new number to use it.

17. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

18. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I don't think there is a way to integrate your iPhone number onto your iPad for texting.

I use Google Voice and Talkatone. Set up a free phone number on Google. Download the Talkatone app. You can then send/receive free texts to/from any phone in the US. You can also make/receive free calls on your iPad as well.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Textnowme works with iPads, any cell phone, iPods, and even computers. You can also send photos.

20. Che Castro macrumors 603

It doesnt give you push notifications

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Maybe I don't get it, but if they are in my contacts, I can text them on my iPad

22. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

I have a GV number but I've never used it because i guess i didn't really know how to benefit from it to be honest. With that said, i really like your recommendation. I think I'll explore this option as it sounds the most versatile for both iphone and ipad. Not exaclty what I was looking for but good non the less.

Thanks for the info, really. This is why i joined, to be educated on different solutions.

23. Che Castro macrumors 603

Im planning on using the following

Bitesms
    Sms gv extension
    Google voice app for push

When the jailbreak comes out